Am I doing anything right?

Rate this topic

MDEW

I recorded some slides. Don't hurt your ears :P but if you could give advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/mdew/a-a

http://soundcloud.com/mdew/ooo

http://soundcloud.com/mdew/ie

http://soundcloud.com/mdew/ehh

http://soundcloud.com/mdew/stuck

You have really good tone in these, compared to what I have heard you sing. Not sure what the difference is - but no matter. What you should be doing at the end of a siren "up", is sirening back down. Especially on sirens that go through bridges (passagio). I find it easier to bridge on the way back down, but I find it harder to get a good onset without shouting on a note above A4. (my own bs I'm fixing lol) Try to go slow, even tempo and volume, until you get to the top. Eventually, you wont hear a break anymore. I still feel one, but don't hear one. Not sure if that is normal either! ;) Anyway, your tone on these sounds to me 100% better than anything else I have heard you sing before.

Thanks. I've been working on support. And I had a couple of hours that I could get loud without feeling like a fool.

I am getting over that I have to practice to get better.

Don't think you can... KNOW you can!

Are you following a program and getting orientation? Please do man. Its relaxed, its comming nice, really better than other samples you sent, of course the break is huge and is there but should not be much of a problem to get going, I even hear the top comming forward a little bit.

Breathing and support will relax you, which is nice, but dont try to force it into it right now, you could mess it up easily.

About feeling like a fool... hahaha welcome to club. Just finished reading a few pages of a technical manual loud and clear... Above the passagio and with enthusiasm :) . It doesnt get much more foolish than that. And by all means, everyone can do it, so as Keith said, know you can. Give time and keep up with the foolishness.

Think about it, it must seem/feel foolish for us, otherwise, we would already be doing it ;). GL. And I mean it, get orientation, a little push in the right direction and life will be much easier.

I am getting over that I have to practice to get better.

My keyboard keeps skipping characters. That should read "I am getting over that. I have to practice to get better." Yes you are correct. I know I am getting better. Thanks.

I have another question. Using lip bubbles past the bridge my larynx shifts. If I let out the note the sound reminds me of a pig squeel. If I purposely make a pig squeel my larynx will shift like that. Is that shift what I am supposed to be strengthening? I will understand If I am just confusing you.

I have plenty of Books, DVD's and such. I just need to pick one and ROLL with it. I had an exorcise tape that I kept in the car and would vocalize to it on the way to work. I did that for over a year with no real results. The purpose of the exorcises was not clear to me. Now I think the same Tape will work wonders. I know what the exorcises are meant to help me with and a better idea of how to do them.

That would be great but I can't even come up with the money to buy the book "Singing and the Actor". I've heard

that there's a lot of good info in that.

I have Seth Riggs "Singing for the Stars".

Mdew - you've got the makings of a good bridge to head voice. If I were you I'd be doing octave scales and 1.5 octave arpeggios across you whole range every day. Starting low and progress up one half step, repeat till you reach the top of your range. When you approach that bridge section, make sure you've got support. You can even "goose" the support a little when you reach this area just to make sure. That support during the bridge will help keep a consistent tone when you reach head voice.

Thank you for your advice. I do slides from bottom to top and back down also. I posted these so you would hear the top note sustained. That way you could hear if I was in full head voice or falsetto.

I will work on lightening up pressure a little earlier. I am trying to save up for the program. It seems every time I start to get ahead something happens to take my savings.

in reference to the pig squeel you said about it might be that your not lowering your larynx. Try this by placing one hand gently on your larynx and swallow (you will feel it go up) then take in a quick inhale like someone has shocked you or try the beginning of a yawn. These are actions that should help you feel your larynx lower. The trick is being able to control this action so that you can lower your larynx when you want to and stop it from popping back up as you get higher. It sounds like you have the twang in your head voice which is what causes the vocal folds to come together and stay connected. Now you need to turn that into a less 'squeely' sound by lowering your larynx. if you also gently push your tongue behind your lower teeth this will help to keep the larynx lowered.

These are all concepts that rob covers in the four pillars. I would save save save if I were you, this program will really help what you are trying to achieve

in reference to the pig squeel you said about it might be that your not lowering your larynx. Try this by placing one hand gently on your larynx and swallow (you will feel it go up) then take in a quick inhale like someone has shocked you or try the beginning of a yawn. These are actions that should help you feel your larynx lower. The trick is being able to control this action so that you can lower your larynx when you want to and stop it from popping back up as you get higher. It sounds like you have the twang in your head voice which is what causes the vocal folds to come together and stay connected. Now you need to turn that into a less 'squeely' sound by lowering your larynx. if you also gently push your tongue behind your lower teeth this will help to keep the larynx lowered.

These are all concepts that rob covers in the four pillars. I would save save save if I were you, this program will really help what you are trying to achieve

Thank you for your responce.

I have read that you must "Tilt" the larynx to streach the vocal cords. To train this tilt you would wine or cry or wimper. I have never felt anything doing this.

While doing the lip bubbles or "rasberries with phonation" when I reach passaggio I feel a change in the larynx and the sound changes considerably.

Doing the Lip bubbles I use the "Buh" keeping the larynx low.

"Rasberry with phonation = tongue out of mouth between teeth,lips lightly on tongue, also phonating on "uh" with lowered larynx.

And Yes it could very well be that my larynx is still rising too high.

Your right about the 'tilt'. The way I've found works the best for this is twang (as advocated by the four pillars) This is a nasally sound like the sound of a duck quacking or a little spoilt brat 'nya nya nya'. As well as tilt this enduces cord closure/compression. Try 'quacking' on scales up through your break and you will find you can keep connected all the way through. Then it's a case of turning those quacky notes into useful singing tones. To be honest though it sounds like you already have this cord closure up into your head voice. Just keep on with the scales your doing cause it sounds like your doing great :)

I can and do make charactor voices. Everthing from Bullwinkle Moose, Hulk Hogan to Elmo of Sesame Street, Miss piggy. I can make my Vocal tract do all kinds of things. It's the dropping charactors and finding my singing voice that I am struggling with.

I've read and heard too much about "you should feel nothing in the throat" and "relax everything". I think in singing I have relaxed too much and need to adjust the tension.

I also think that with the charactor voices the adjustments are extreem. Plus the fact that I can make the sounds of Witches Cackle,Duck quack,Diving airplain,Meow in several different ways. I get confused on wich way applies to singing.

I will have to make an audio file of that.

I listened to the Silent Lucidity clip. Your ear is the issue more than your voice at this point. Your vocal quality is better than mine to be sure, and others are better at making suggestions for that. But just having a more detailed melodic ear and pitch sense is your next priority IMO.

I had to work very hard on this and still do.

Well, M, you have answer in your own words. Try one of the songs in one of the funny voices. You don't have do anything with it but be silly. That is, you will twang a little too much at first and that's okay. It's temporary. Later, you will adjust it as you gain more control. But first, you have to allow yourself to make odd noises, at first.

Anthony Frisell wisely said that too many singers and their coaches go too fast toward the polished, pop sound, missing important steps of control and technique along the way.

So, give it some time, make funny voices. I do. I like Rick Ocasek from the Cars. And sometimes, his voice would sound like a bit of "Dracula." So, I would do the same. Other times, I will try to sound like Mickey Mouse on helium.

Have fun with it, make people give you odd looks.

I listened to the Silent Lucidity clip. Your ear is the issue more than your voice at this point. Your vocal quality is better than mine to be sure, and others are better at making suggestions for that. But just having a more detailed melodic ear and pitch sense is your next priority IMO.

I had to work very hard on this and still do.

Thank you Negoba,

I do need to work on pitch control. On Silent Lucidity that was the first time hearing the song let alone trying to sing it. I had to keep working on it. I kind of gave up on trying to fix it.

Some of my pitch control problem is expecting my voice to sound a certain way and it doesn't.

Once I hear how my voice is supposed to sound on given song the pitch control is a little better.

Well, M, you have answer in your own words. Try one of the songs in one of the funny voices. You don't have do anything with it but be silly. That is, you will twang a little too much at first and that's okay. It's temporary. Later, you will adjust it as you gain more control. But first, you have to allow yourself to make odd noises, at first.

Anthony Frisell wisely said that too many singers and their coaches go too fast toward the polished, pop sound, missing important steps of control and technique along the way.

So, give it some time, make funny voices. I do. I like Rick Ocasek from the Cars. And sometimes, his voice would sound like a bit of "Dracula." So, I would do the same. Other times, I will try to sound like Mickey Mouse on helium.

Have fun with it, make people give you odd looks.

I started about a year ago whenever a song comes on the radio that is outside of my normal range I will go ahead and sing it. Even if I do have to sound like a Munchkin or chipmunk to do it. I can sing them fine in the car but when I am inside I still have a mental block and go too soft through passaggio to even access the Munchkins.

Release the inner munchkin. I know it's hard to counteract a lifetime of holding yourself down to fit in with others and face the fear of ridicule. It will be the toughest thing you do. Tougher than practicing scales, etc.

Do I need to repeat my short phrase? I will, if I must.