Bands/Singers that you like but are not famous

Rate this topic

chamcham

Maybe they're local, and don't travel any further.

Maybe they only play live shows and aren't on TV often, if ever.

Maybe the singer has awesome vocal technique and deserves more attention than they're getting.

Maybe many of their videos get less than 1000 views on Youtube, but you still love them.

Maybe they haven't found (or don't want) mainstream success.

What are some singers or bands that you like even though they've never been famous?

I'll start with PaperDoll, they're an indie band from New York City.

Another band is the Monophonics (from San Francisco)

It depends how you define famous. I'm a big fan of a bunch of not-super-famous bands. Animal Collective, St. Vincent, and Guster to name a few.

Nothing incredible from their singers, I just love their music.

For a US band/singer, let's define "famous" as meaning they've had at

least one album that went gold in the US.

Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen - not many have heard of them put they played a fast boogie style and had a cameo appearance in the movie "Hollywood Nights."

Schwantz Lefantz - a jazz band that was pretty active locally in the early 80's.

Ultimate Force - did a lot of dance music covers and sounded like Kool and the Gang and covered their stuff, too.

Ray Wylie Hubbard - not a lot of people outside of country music know but most everyone has heard his famous song as it was recorded by Jerry Jeff Walker. The song is "Redneck Mothers."

Shake Russell, another great guy who now lives in Houston. His voice sounds just like Harry Chapin. When we would hear him perform, I halfway expected him to break into "Cat's in the Cradle." His music has also been used on a local travel show called "Eyes of Texas."

The Texas Hippie Coalition - I knew about them before most anyone else did.

Jeff Strahan - you've got to be way into the blues to know about him.

Bugs Henderson - semi-famous, at 60, he is still rocking hard.

chamcham,

I really liked the Monophonics...Paperdoll too, but Mono more my style. I think this is a great idea for a thread and I have one of my favorite singers that I can throw a little "pub" towards.

I've had the extreme pleasure of listening to Jen sing night after for a 2 year span, and all I can say is, "I am not worthy"(in best Wayne's World impression.)

She has more talent/skill/musicianship/(what have you) in her pinky toe than I will ever know(and that is NOT...I repeat NOT me being humble...it's just fact.)

She is honestly using about 55% of her voice(in technique terms) in these vids...although classic Jen phrasing....just gorgeous to me! Not to mention her chops on the keys...insane!!!

The seductive voice of Roy Khan of Kamelot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F88G4itQyds

Roy Khan is famous, though not in the band anymore. Even their fill in Fabio is famous. Tommy Karevik is also famous for his work with Seventh Wonder. Roy Khan is my favorite vocalist. Ever.

I love big rich baritones and one guy who has that is a Canadian named Garnet Rogers. His brother Stan was more famous, but his vibrato annoys me. The folk singer vibrato can be beautiful and it can be stupid annoying.

My favorite overall musician (somewhat famous) is Devin Townsend whose voice isn't necessarily that pretty but it's monstrously versatile.

I also like Daniel Gildenlow's voice.

Some of my favorite singers are from anime soundtracks.

But unfortunately many of the featured singers are unknown.

You hear one song and then never hear from them again.

Nameless and faceless, but often very good.

Here are a few that I like:

Roy used to come into my work every now and then to buy stage clothes. He's a very nice guy and I once had a very long chat with him about music. I was quite surprised when he told me that he'd had no formal vocal training other than speech therapy to "calm down his voice after a long tour", as he put it. I always thought he sounded extremely well trained, but I guess there really are singers who manage to figure it out themselves.

Roy Khan is famous, though not in the band anymore. Even their fill in Fabio is famous. Tommy Karevik is also famous for his work with Seventh Wonder. Roy Khan is my favorite vocalist. Ever.