Morning warm-ups

Rate this topic

D.Starr

OK so I have an audition in 2-3 weeks and it is at 8AM for my first audition then 1PM for my second.

I see the second audition being a breeze because my voice is usually fine from 11AM onwards, but it's the 8 o clock start that worries me.

I live with my grandparents so getting up at 6 to vigorously wamr up my voice doesn't seem fair on them to wake them up. I see no chance AT ALL at my voice being warmed up and ready for 8 o' clock.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice, tips or exercises for preparing and obviously warming up on the day to prepare.

My voice type is mainly deep, vocal fach I'd say Baritone-ish. Highest notes are A4, lowest being C2. So I'm Barry White in the morn, the upper area takes a while.

Highest note I'd say I'd be going for on my first audition would be G4.

Someone once suggested to practice using a pillow over your mouth to keep the noise down. Just remember to remove the pillow and breathe every now and then. Or into a straw that cuts the sound way down also.

I am not a teacher so the advice I give may be counter productive.

I know what your saying about the morning voice D. I'm not the same singer in the am before 11 as I am after 7pm. I really have no professional advice but if I know I will be singing early I start early...and slowly. As soon as I wake I start rotating my neck and loosening my jaw and I down a bottle of room temp water, usually a pint or so. I move around and get generally warmed up overall (whole body). I don't talk but I start to (very low) vocal fry. It is very deep that early (around 7 am). I also hum very low and lightly. Then I get in the shower and continue in the shower and steam. I start humming more and playing around with the vocal fry adding more volume but still low. Basically I am ramping up slowly before doing any talking. I take in the steam and do low hums and then some very low speech level scales. I have more water and breakfast then I start speaking and continue to get my voice going. By 9 am I'm in my car and starting my normal warmup and exercises. Now I know that is the part that you are having trouble with because of your situation and noise levels but maybe some of the earlier wake up warmups will help a little. By the time I leave at 9 am I already drank two pints of water. I also have a throat lozenge. When I do the morning routine it makes things a little easier. But my dive time is key for warming my voice.

I know what your saying about the morning voice D. I'm not the same singer in the am before 11 as I am after 7pm. I really have no professional advice but if I know I will be singing early I start early...and slowly. As soon as I wake I start rotating my neck and loosening my jaw and I down a bottle of room temp water, usually a pint or so. I move around and get generally warmed up overall (whole body). I don't talk but I start to (very low) vocal fry. It is very deep that early (around 7 am). I also hum very low and lightly. Then I get in the shower and continue in the shower and steam. I start humming more and playing around with the vocal fry adding more volume but still low. Basically I am ramping up slowly before doing any talking. I take in the steam and do low hums and then some very low speech level scales. I have more water and breakfast then I start speaking and continue to get my voice going. By 9 am I'm in my car and starting my normal warmup and exercises. Now I know that is the part that you are having trouble with because of your situation and noise levels but maybe some of the earlier wake up warmups will help a little. By the time I leave at 9 am I already drank two pints of water. I also have a throat lozenge. When I do the morning routine it makes things a little easier. But my dive time is key for warming my voice.

Can't argue with this other than the vocal fry thing. I don't use that very much seems to introduce "clenching" into the mix- but that's just me. NG humming is good as are slides in and out of your headvoice to your lower notes. Nothing strenuous, just warming up. Driving to the gig or audition is perfect for warming up, at least for me. I've been doing 10AM soundchecks for the last month and a half on the weekends and this has worked great for me. Get up about 3 hours early to give yourself the time to wake up. Not just the voice, but everything.

• 4 months later...

basics:

lip trills, humming, "z" or "v" slides, water, good night's sleep.

you said...

"I see the second audition being a breeze because my voice is usually fine from 11AM onwards, but it's the 8 o clock start that worries me."

advice: stop worrying...perceive both as being a breeze.

eventually, experimentation will get you to place that works for you and your voice.