Weak and Girly High Notes...

Rate this topic

Overdrive

This is a pretty silly, but for a really long time now I've been singing basically everything an octave lower. I didn't know I was singing an octave lower either, I just assumed I had a 'low-sounding voice' hahaha.

Anyway so now I know that everything is actually much higher than I had thought. Is it just me or is mostly every song in a "mixed voice"? This is pretty tricky for me. I have a fairly okay bridge right now, but the high notes sound plain bad (weak, girly, you can tell I'm in 'head voice' and it doesn't work for rock).

If I just keep singing in my "mixed" voice for a month will it get better naturally? Are there some special exercises that will help speed up the process?

a good mix takes a long time to develop.

are you exercising your voice? what exercises have you been doing?

I like this "na na na na" scale exercise shown in this video by RocktheStageNYC:

but basically I've just been singing along to songs while on the computer...

you have to have a near daily regimen of vocal exercises and song singing to develop your voice.

there's no way around it.

In your experience what exercises have you found work best for you in achieving what I am striving for?

Sirens, onsets, glottal attacks, sing along with songs that are sung in and above your passagio, plan on devoting an hour a day to sirens. Buy a program that centers around bridging & connecting. It will take you less time with help from a coach. From what I understand, singing mixed voice is dependent on the musculatures for chest and head being the same strength.

for a good, strong mix you need:

a well developed head voice (often sidestepped)

a well developed pharyngeal voice

and a well developed chest voice

seek out and do exercises that help with these areas. you have to do the research unless you go to a teacher (recommended).

To answer a question, yes, many songs are sung in "mixed voice" but I would like to be a bit of a pill and say it sounds like mixed voice. After all, we are hearing something. We ascribe certain qualities to it. I am reminded of a few teachers that once they taught a student how to sing in a mixed voice, the student felt or thought it was weak. And the teacher had recorded the session and then played it back. Every student was surprised to hear their own voice so loud and strong. Because they thought they "knew what their own voice sounded like.

Per the thread title. You may think your notes are weak and girly. First off, define girly and then define why that is bad. Why? Because you don't sound like James Hetfield while singing in the 5th register? But never mind, someone with experience and clout could tell you that they are not girly and you would not believe them because it doesn't match what you think of yourself.

You cannot hear yourself, both physically and mentally, as others hear you. Let the wailing and great nashing of teeth begin.

:)

Don't make me repeat my short phrase.

To answer a question, yes, many songs are sung in "mixed voice" but I would like to be a bit of a pill and say it sounds like mixed voice. After all, we are hearing something. We ascribe certain qualities to it. I am reminded of a few teachers that once they taught a student how to sing in a mixed voice, the student felt or thought it was weak. And the teacher had recorded the session and then played it back. Every student was surprised to hear their own voice so loud and strong. Because they thought they "knew what their own voice sounded like.

Per the thread title. You may think your notes are weak and girly. First off, define girly and then define why that is bad. Why? Because you don't sound like James Hetfield while singing in the 5th register? But never mind, someone with experience and clout could tell you that they are not girly and you would not believe them because it doesn't match what you think of yourself.

You cannot hear yourself, both physically and mentally, as others hear you. Let the wailing and great nashing of teeth begin.

:)

Don't make me repeat my short phrase.

brother ron, i'm jumping in here (as you probably figured i would....lol!!!)

may i just say that it can depend on the type of voice weight and what degree of mix.....a light mix, a balanced mix, or a heavy mix.

overdrive, without actually hearing you, you may be too "falsettoey" and "yes" to put it bluntly, that can sound girly and weak if you're after rock.

And can't know until we hear the guy.

Of course I expected you to jump in here, Bob. There must necessarily be a counterpoint to statements I make. If I had not said anything, you or someone else would have said "send in a sample," like you've done so many other times. Like you just did in M's newest thread. Which does make this my fault. I should have kept my mouth shut and let you ask. In this case, I have upset the applecart.

My bad.

Yes, a weak tone could be a weak tone. So, for just this one person, we'll diagnose without hearing a sound sample, simply on the basis that I have to be wrong.

:cool:

Here's a quick sample:

I think I definitely sound way too girly on those high notes, and now I think I realize that my bridge is not good at all, I just can switch back and forth with relative ease (but it's sudden so not very useful)

I'm the same guy from a month ago with that absolutely horrible "Never Too Late" sample... lol somebody here commented that it could be my larynx though and they were so right. I've been trying to work on keeping the larynx from moving around crazily.

Nope, you were right, weak and girly.

:lol:

Just kidding, I could not resist. Bad ron, bad ron ....

You sound like a guy, and in a few places, you flip into falsetto. Like Keith said, just takes a little time to iron it out. When I think of girly, I think of Taylor Swift, and not just because she is a girl. You don't sound like her. Your voice sounds more like the guy that sings that song with the lyrics "I said what about Breakfast at Tiffany's? You said ...."

That's what you sound like in this clip, on this song.

But many think falsetto sounds weak and girly and it is often described as the voice men use in imitating women, giving that notion even more weight.

owen, although what you are saying is a correct approach, it is not the only approach. i've learned now that the type of voice has to be factored into the issue as well.

also, the pharygeal voice is the missing link in some cases and this needs to be worked. the pharyngeal builds chiaro and bright strength.

as you know, i'm a proponent of developing and building strength first, and lightening afterwards.

you have some that don't agree, and as long as i can state my opinion, that's all i ask.

another way to look at it perhaps is if you start light stay light...if you start strong, stay strong..

so it not about being light (correcting myself) it's about not lightening up....not withdrawing, not letting the the car coast or letting up on the gas.

Many moons ago when I was into lifting weights I followed a method that to some was unusual but to many old timers was familiar. I was into big weights. Heavy lifting. The common way of training was (simplified) find your starting weight and number of sets and reps and lift until all sets and reps are achieved then add weight. So in essence you might start with a weight that you can lift 10 times...say 100 lbs. Then do 3 sets. On set one you get all 10 reps. On set two you get 10 reps again but it's getting tough at around rep 7 or 8. On set three you can only make 8 or 9 reps. Stay at that weight each session until you get all reps on all sets then add 5 lbs and start again.

Five lbs is allot when things start getting heavy and many times lifters would stall because weight built too quickly for their muscles to adapt. But there was another method and it was done with constant small increments. The theory was that if you were carrying 100 lbs and I added 5 lbs to it you would certainly know maybe even need to drop the load. If I only added 1/2 a lb to it you probably wouldn't notice. But your muscles would. Add a 1/2 lb or 1 lb per week and you could almost go on indefinitely. You get stronger incrementally.

You stay with this routine a few months then take a rest for a week or two and start again but this time take a running start. Just like as if you wanted to push a heavy wheelbarrow up a hill. Get a running start from farther back. So if you finished your last cycle at 250 lbs x 10 reps start over at 240 x 10 and work back up and passed your last max setting a new max (incrementally) then rest, back down and build a new max.

Maybe I confused you but when people speak I see pictures and comparisons.

See what I see? Light/heavy/building strength/take your time/little by little/steps...

Just some thoughts. :)