My next hurdle

Rate this topic

Keith

So, I was doing sirens and stuff, ya know- working out -and I went to to E55 (which I never do)... So I did it again - about 5 times actually. Then, I sang along with "Take Hold of the Flame", because that goes to to E5.. ANd I was able to do it (kinda) - so here is what happens. D5 is clear, D#5 is clear, E5 rattles my throat - hard. And the sound, albeit loud, has this distortion to it - almost like a rattle. Almost like I have Phlegm on my cords. Anyway, I am not set up to record anything, as my laptop is set up for 17 credit hours of Law courses... But, if anyone knows from the description what I may be doing wrong.. Well, let me know lol. Also, it does sound a touch airy - kinda like what Geoff sounds like when he tries to hit that E5 today. What I WANT, is a clean ringy E5, like what James Labrie would sound like. Any thoughts?

I'm don't have very structured advice, but I think the answer is simply to change the shape of your mouth slightly. The squeeze is there, but the mouth shape has to change a tiny bit to get the resonance at the super high notes.

If you are getting to D#5, a semi-tone under the note you are seeking, try and take off more weight. Make E5 more head voice. The driving air will keep in the resonance and it will ring your head like a bell. Think small.

Is that E5 falsetto?

I'm working on my bridging between the chest/head/falsetto and this is a tune I'd like to practice with. I can't imagine myself hitting those E5's without falsetto, but I can hit it (and add vibrato) when I use falsetto. Actually, I believe that is my current cut-off on my high range, unless I'm screaming ala-Devin Townsend, but that's non-modal and probably looked down upon over here. :P

Looking forward to hearing your take on it, Keith! You've done a great job with the other Ryche covers I've heard you do!

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of some Ryche karaoke files? I'd LOVE to add a cover of my own up here!