I have anxiety about singing, I really would like to know how I sound

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi everyone. I have had some anxiety with regards to singing over the years. I was just curious how do I sound exactly? I really can't figure out whether or not I'm acceptable, bad, or somehow good because it's hard for me to judge my own voice

These are short 30 second tidbits from stuff. How am I? I would like honest feedback versus someone just being nice

http://soundcloud.com/user893437388/sets/samples

Update...because it's too soft, here you go...a little bit louder, with instrumental

http://soundcloud.com/user893437388/valarie-louder-with-background

There are probably a lot more people on here in a better position to advise you, but I'll throw my tuppance in for good measure.

Are you bad? No, you are not bad. You do, however (in my opinion) need to understand how to use your voice. After all, it is an instrument that needs to be learned and mastered over time.

I'd focus on breathing correctly, first and foremost, from then you can build up some control and strength without knackering your voice.

Also...Valerie. You weren't quite singing the melody as I know it, but if you were putting your own twist on it, fair enough. I'd sing with some backing tracks to help yourself a little and then record acapella.

Most of all, enjoy learning to use your voice and have fun :)

It doesn't take time for EVERYONE that's for sure.. but cut the anxietey crap. The problem you have is just that you are singing way too quietly, even for this style. It's not bad at all, but you might find that when you bring it to a louder volume it becomes really difficult. Before I started singing I sang at a low volume and convinced myself that I was awesome, until I tried to sing in front of somebody and realized that the voice changes when you have to broadcast it.

That's all, try to sing louder.

You don't even have to worry about vocal terminology... head voice, mixed voice, chest voice and everything that goes with it, as long as you know how to keep yourself improving steadily, and you're on the right track: singing your favorite songs!

Nice job.

I agree with this person above me in that you can become used to singing in a lower volume, but once you have to project it, it can sound VERY different. Practice in a louder voice. I actually think your vocal is really similar to mine. We're not naturally gifted with a great tone, but if we work on it, we'll be able to reach an acceptable level. Good luck :D

You say you find it hard to judge yourself. By the examples you gave here it is hard for us also. :) I say this because you are not singing imo. I don't mean this in a bad way...I don't mean "That's not singing" as if you can't. what I do mean is that you are "talking" rather than singing. You are speaking softly with a little added melody.

For that reason no one can really tell what you are truly capable of. What you are doing is guarding against mistakes by singing low and if you don't let it out, and show the goods and the bads, well then how can you get an honest answer? :)

There are many details and smaller parts to singing than just singing or reciting the words. Phrasing is one. the lines have to be put together in an interesting and musical way. feeling, emotion, volume, highs and lows.

How about another example and this time let go!!!! Sing! :D Your voice isn't bad...but you're not letting it out.

Totally agree with Adon. Right now, you are whispering all of your songs into whatever. A) this limits you to the one section of range that you can whisper. B) Whispering is bad for the voice. Either sing out or shut up. This whispering will de-tune your voice and cause damage, eventually, if you keep up a lifetime of it.

I don't give a flying leap into a lake if Michael Jackson talked in whispers. You're not Michael, even if you can eventually sing his songs.

As Adon said, sing with some volume. I'm across the room and I am not moving over to you to hear you whisper. Speak up, more importantly, sing up. And don't give me crap about your family, etc. Find a place and time you can sing.

Update:

Okay well here's a little bit louder...I can't get myself to belt it out, I know it's in there just can't do it. Add in background. Redid Valarie

http://soundcloud.com/user893437388/valarie-louder-with-background

I realized that I was singing it way too low, I'm not sure if my pitch is still there though

Much better.

You went off pitch at the end, which is in interval problem. But you have some good basics going on. And rather than relearn the whole song, just practice that interval jump. It's a coordination thing. That is, during the main parts of the lyric, you're in a good spot. So, work on the intervals, changing from one note down to the next one that is farther away, so to speak. That is, only work on what needs fixing. Chances are, tuning up this or that little thing will re-align other things that maybe you had not even heard before, nor have I heard. And doing this louder allows us to hear something that is an easy fix.

But now, your breath support sounds better. This song is right in the comfort zone of your voice, which is an excellent place to start. It's best to start in the comfort zone and get the technique right. Similar to how a weightlifter starts out with light weights to get his form correct, before going to heavier weights. Or a tennis player practices stance and swings, before gallavanting around the court.

I think you did really well, and it won't take much to fix what I heard. The interval. Hear it in your head, hear it in your voice. Think of your voice as an instrument, rather than an extension of your self-worth as a person. That is, for now, divorce your voice from you, the person. You can come back to it later.

And remember, for this one was hard for me to learn, as well. All I have done is make a comment about a sound that you made. It has absolutely nothing to do with you as a person, good or bad.