Opinions please. My cover of At Last, Etta James.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all,

Please would you take the time to critique my cover of At Last.

I greatly appreciate all comments. No niceties required, just plain old blunt truths!

PS. The recording really isn't great, so please excuse it. Apologies in advance for that one!

http://soundcloud.com/sublimelyme/at-last

Nice job! It's hard for me to critique female vocalists, but it sounds like you sing much softer than the original, meaning not as solid or strong. Etta James seems to have more 'bite' and support behind the notes.

I liked it :) You have a nice tone to your voice. I would liked to hear a little more bite on the opening line "At last" though, but that might be just personal taste. It is the two words that open the song and also the title. It is her crying out "At Last." It says listen to my story. And it sets up the rest of the song. Also the vowel on the first "last" (the At Last ) at the start was a bit too closed imo.

Very nice though, good job,

Thanks so much, I've been working on the points you raised today and hopefully I'll take another shot at recording it and maybe you can let me know you're thoughts then?

Really appreciate the input.

Hayley

my own disqualifying statement, you do things I have also done so, I know what I am thinking and also, it may color my judgement.

Great song and you totally own it, like you wrote it. The one thing I could hear that could tune up just a little is the vowels. American english speakers such as myself, when we do the uh sound, it tends to drop the tongue, taking away from the intonation. So, I have benefited by getting as close to italian vowels as I can. For example, the word "above," normally spoken with an uh sound between the b and the v. Change that to the oh sound like in the word, boat. This will keep the tongue from bottoming out and dragging the intonation down with it. And, for the word "last," change to the eh sound. Make it "lest." And that's it. Just a few different vowel sounds. Don't worry about months of lessons. You already have the song in your bones. Just morph the vowel sound, a little bit and it will, indeed, be perfect. We sing on the vowel but the lyrics are in the articulation. Consonants. Which you already have.

Trust me, I have done similar things. I was covering "No Stranger to Love" and was a bit flat on the word, love. Normally spoken as l-uh-v. So, I listened to Glenn Hughes sing it and he sings it as "loov," using the italian oo sound. Totally tuned me up and made the flow more cohesive. Fortunately, I had caught this in myself before finishing the recording. And this wasn't that long ago, like a month or so.

@ronws: Thanks so much, great advice and makes perfect sense. Sorry for the late reply, it's been a hectic week and I've been working on this for an audition at the weekend.

All of you have given me fantastic advice, thank you so, so much. I look forward to one day being able to return the favour to others.

Hay