The epitome of singing with no strain.

Rate this topic

Keith

The guy is great. Just seems like he's at a point where there is no stress on his voice with that repetoire.. He's able to sing that long with no problems. I'm sure it took him a while to acheive that kind of stamina.

Wow. I just assumed this guy was as good as that performance. I'm not familiar with this guy. Is this the way he sounds all the time now? Or did he have laryngitis on the 2011 video? If he wasn't sick, his voice really has gone to hell. Chalk up another one.

Oh well, there are other videos of him performing live, Ill leave it for you guys to decide. After this sad episode, he left the band.

So study, study, study and study more. Because this was not comfortable enough from the beginning. And we are not part of huge band, we cant afford vocal problems.

Shouldn't vocal coaches be the epitome of singing without strain?

depending on what you are singing, you have to differentiate bad strain from good strain......

i'm gonna go out on a limb (cause brother ron is gonna get me for this one ....lol!!!!) but "controlled, well executed, well placed, tension or strain" can have it's place in some singing.

it has a negative connotation which isn't always the case. there are some songs where you are teetering on straining for most of the song.

actually, strain can enhance a vocal performance in much the same way an actor's volume spikes can enhance his.

i believe some singer's have a fear of strain that can actually hold them back from singing the way they want to.

I read his bio - says that he had really bad acid reflux, and didn't know it. Several Doctors never found anything. He is on meds and can sing again now. And yes, he is a vocal coach.

I read the same thing. I watched some recent performances (2012) and he is indeed much better. I'm not sure he's as good as back in 2001 yet, but world of difference from the really bad performance.

i'm gonna go out on a limb (cause brother ron is gonna get me for this one ....lol!!!!) but "controlled, well executed, well placed, tension or strain" can have it's place in some singing.

i believe some singer's have a fear of strain that can actually hold them back from singing the way they want to.

I agree with tension, not so much with strain. Then, again, I feel one should sing without strain, though not without tension. Not everyone shares my viewpoint. And I'm okay with that.

For there may some, such as myself, maybe, who don't want to sound strained when we we're singing. That is also a sound ideal. And perhaps that is because of my exposure to classical music throughout periods of my life, where the whole idea was to produce a round, full tone that seemed to float on air, not strained at all. Even if it took opera singers, on average, 10 years to be considered ready for the stage.

Maybe I just don't have the voice for "strained' rock music.

Then, there's other times, where I went for a gritty, empassioned sound that cause me absolutely no strain and the master of gritty singing ( a known vocal coach) accused me of raising my larynx, and that what I was doing was wrong.

So, you can't please everyone.

So, then, I guess, we need a definition of "strain" to know where we agree or disagree. Then, again, I'm not looking for a justification for me to strain, or to not strain, so much.