Queensryche vs. Queensryche?

Rate this topic

Validar

Apparently, Geoff Tate has decided to press forward using the Queensryche name, as well, after being fired from the band. (similar to what's happening with Great White and L.A. Guns)

Members of this alternate version of Queensryche include Bobby Blotzer (Ratt) and Rudy Sarzo.

Thoughts?

Doesn't matter, their important work was over 15 years ago.

I was the only guy with a Mindcrime shirt in my high school. I remember trying to like Here in the Now Frontier, but that was pretty much it for me. I have Mindcrime II. It's ok, but RJD is more interesting that Geoff by that point.

The sound of the band and the music changed after Chris DeGarmo left.

I saw a piece of interview with Geoff on a new episode of "That Metal Show." The band has made much about his "assault" on them at a show in Brazil.

At the show in Brazil, they decided to hold a "band meeting" 5 minutes before going on stage. Then they informed Geoff that they fired his wife, their manager of 10 years. And his daughter, president of the fan club and secretary for the band. And then, his brother-in-law, who provided logistics. And that he (Geoff) was next. And so, he spit on one of them. A greater insult than just taking a swing. And then he went on and did the show.

The band simply will not have the success with Torre. He just doesn't have the same voice for those songs, regardless of how good a singer he is and it is not something you can train or find a widget for.

The judge has ruled in the interim that the band may use the name and that Goeff Tate may use the name, as no one actually owned the name. What Tate has done to avoid confusion for the band is change the color of the logo and titles it "Queensryche (with the voice of Geoff Tate.)"

So, I am not going to assume that Tate is just being headstrong but he did define the sound of the band, quite a bit, along with DeGarmo.

And I have not yet seen a good explanation as to why DeGarmo left some years ago.

When asked why the band would do this, Geoff stated that in this recession with hard copy album sales decreasing, the band thinks it could retain more of the money by firing Geoff, who has a 25% interest, and simply hire Torre as a salaried employee. Well, yeah, they could have the bigger piece of a pie, now. But, how big is that pie, nowadays?

When asked if there could be a reunion, Geoff said he would first need an explanation of these events that makes sense.

From what I heard, Chris DeGarmo simply fell out of love with the idea of being in a touring band, so he went on to become an airline pilot. He's said he doesn't regret the decision, and doesn't miss it at all.

I agree completely that DeGarmo's departure brought about a significant change in the band.

If you care to, you can read the declarations written by everyone involved in the lawsuit here-

http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=2906.0

I'm sure many here will be siding with Geoff, but I urge you to read the declarations first before following the leader.

There's talk of why Chris left originally and it had a lot more to do with Geoff's behavior towards Chris and the rest of the band than anything else. You'll also be able to read why the band fired Geoff and what led up to it.

As for Todd's vocals....well, if you think this is pointless -

, then....I dunno, guess just as pointless as Geoff writing the songs to begin with. He's not a 100% Tate clone, but he hits the notes that Tate hasn't hit in 20+ years.

You can see many live vids of him playing with the band from the past few months. His voice is a bit raspier, but still, it's the best version of Ryche we've had since the 90's.

Just an FYI- I was literally raised on Ryche from day 1. I was born in 82', my father and uncle discovered the EP when it first came out and cranked it around the house regularly. Just like Pink Floyd, I've known their songs longer than I've known anything else. Geoff is a HUGE influence on me, even though I have a very different vocal style. He was untouchable in the 80's, not many can argue that. He's made it clear he is not a fan of metal music and that's been more than obvious for the last 15 years.

I miss the Ryche I grew up with, not the one led by a guy who makes videos as embarrassing as this-

I read a lengthy article a few weeks ago that highlighted the most notable parts of the declarations, and it was surely shocking.

I don't know that I'm necessarily taking sides on the matter, but I do know A LOT of people have had issues with Tate over the years. There are quite a few in the industry who once idolized Tate who have had unkind things to say about him.

But none of it is for me to take personally, anyway. I don't know him. But I'll always respect the work he's done.

But none of it is for me to take personally, anyway. I don't know him. But I'll always respect the work he's done.

This I agree with as a viewpoint.

So, I choose to hear both sides, not just 4 or 5 against one.

But, I get it, where there's smoke, there's fire.

I'm just thinking we ought to hear all sides. In a criminal case, a defense attorney must only prove a shadow of a doubt. In a civil case, the defence must disprove the theory with a preponderance of evidence to refute. So, it's one guy against the others. In a civil suit, you may sue anyone for anything, no matter how silly. Like the lady that sued McDonald's because the coffee she spilt on herself was hot. And she won.

Even if they settle peacably, which can certainly happen, it's not going to sound the same.

And I am not really interested in arguing it all. In so many words, this is not my hill to die on.

By the way, the declarations are proof of nothing. They are statements by the interested parties. Statements that can be all personal opinion, both of plaintiff and defendent. What matters in the end is the royalties assignments and the rules of corporation of percentage earnings.

That is, he said, he said, doesn't mean a lot. If they don't get along anymore or they are tired of Geoff doing more of the directing, fine, whatever. Settle up the bill. Good luck to the remaining members and Torre. Good luck to Geoff Tate and whatever he comes up with.

I agree with both ya guys.

I'm definitely not here to argue the point and I can see where my initial post in this thread may have seemed like I was welcoming an argument.

Really, I'm saddened by it all. Like I said above, I grew up with this band and they are very dear to me.

I suppose I'm left a bit, I don't think 'hurt' is the word I'm looking for...I guess disappointed is the right word, by it all. I've been following all this stuff really closely and each time something new pops up, Geoff is changing his story. I really thought he was above that.

Regardless, good luck to both sides. I'll check out both versions of Queensryche and let my love of music do the following....

I hear ya, Keith. Steve Vai was playing up the street from me a couple weeks ago and I didn't have the money at the time.

I'm definitely anxious to hear Tate's effort in all of this. This could be the spark he needs to make him want to sing like he used to.

Whether or not he loved what he was doing in the 80's, he was absolutely AMAZING with what he did.