lift up pull back

Rate this topic

HalcyonAugust2

I have my first lesson this week, but are there any tips for learning to lift up and pull back? I don't think I am getting it the way it should be done. I'm sure Robert will help me during my lesson, but if you guys have any pointers in the meantime, I'd appreciate them!!

to start with it's fine to go into falsetto. You will have effectively bridged your passagio. Then you can work on keeping it connected and that the tough part!

Ow ok. But as i keep doing this? My throat hurts probably due to the very airy nature of falsetto

But as we keep practicing will this airyness go away?

Did you check my clip? Was that how it should be done?

https://www.box.com/shared/76vzc5aywwv1oxxdd9sa

You have the right concept on the clip, keep practicing that.

I doubt the falsetto is hurting your throat. I'm thinking maybe you are just too heavy on the onset. Try going for a medium soft volume right from the beginning and see if that makes things easier.

The airiness won't necessarily go away by itself but that is not the point. You want to erase the vocal break first. Then remove the airiness, which involves a different technique.

So i've been doing the lift up pull back nd applied to the sirens and isthere such a thing as connecting too early?

Cuz im listening to robert and I think i connect way too early

Should i practice bridging a little later??

to start with it's fine to go into falsetto. You will have effectively bridged your passagio. Then you can work on keeping it connected and that the tough part!

So i think i can get it a bit now i'll upload a clip later

But my headvoice seems like a kindergarten compared to my headvoice

How do i strengthen my head cuz its so wimpy. What exercises should i do?

You want to practice bridging into falsetto for a couple of weeks to get the timing right so you don't end up pulling chest. Then the thing that will be stopping you from getting a full headvoice is twang. To feel an extreme version of twang try quacking, a really nasal sound. If you sing a scale from your chest into head to a quack sound you should find that your cords stayed together and you didn't break into falsetto. If it didn't help try 'nya' like a spoiled brat or a withes cackle. You need a great deal of support to keep your vocal cords closed into your head voice and it will take a few weeks to build up muscles so keep at it. Then, once you have the cord closure, you can change this quacky sound into something useful by lowering your larynx and throttling back on the quack.

This isn't a magic exercise that will suddenly work. It takes months / years to develop a strong and connected head voice and bridge.

Hope this helps

You want to practice bridging into falsetto for a couple of weeks to get the timing right so you don't end up pulling chest. Then the thing that will be stopping you from getting a full headvoice is twang. To feel an extreme version of twang try quacking, a really nasal sound. If you sing a scale from your chest into head to a quack sound you should find that your cords stayed together and you didn't break into falsetto. If it didn't help try 'nya' like a spoiled brat or a withes cackle. You need a great deal of support to keep your vocal cords closed into your head voice and it will take a few weeks to build up muscles so keep at it. Then, once you have the cord closure, you can change this quacky sound into something useful by lowering your larynx and throttling back on the quack.

This isn't a magic exercise that will suddenly work. It takes months / years to develop a strong and connected head voice and bridge.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot Gina. Damn nice jab to my face with reality!

Damn years! Well i've gots a long way to go!!!!

But then again i've always believed in this saying

"How far you're gonna get will be determined by how far you're willing to walk"

Thank you Gina I highly and deeply do appreciate your comments they have been a big help

I mean as I intrnalized your feedback and comments

I Think i understood it?

https://www.box.com/shared/76vzc5aywwv1oxxdd9sa

Thats my attempt at applying all you guys feedback

It's light years from perfect but it's what i understood so far

thank you gina for telling it like it is......great post.

i say more like years than months...just some setbacks in between....lol!!!

Yup. She said so well it almost crushed me XD hahah

Im kidding it's just we all wanna get there fast and want a quick fix

But this? Singing? Definitely takes time

• Administrator

For the first few months or so, yes, lift up pull back through the passaggio. Then as your voice gets stronger you can gradually start replacing the lift up pull back with intrinsic anchoring :D.

EXACTLY! Owen is really in the "know" on TVS training... he is a good source for tips if you guys are interested. We train together quite frequently.

As demonstrated in "Pillars" and in the lecture titled, "Lift up / pull back" and there is an old version on YouTube,... it is just an interim solution... it is not the end solution for bridging, but what 'lift up / pull back' does mostly is, it retrains the body to stop engaging the constrictors and for some people, introduces them to their head voice for the first time... It shuts down the choking and introduces the head voice... which is like cleaning the house before the party begins... after you have this going smoothly, you then begin to apply your intrinsic anchoring set in fluid movements. From the onset and through the passaggio and also messa de voce onsets which basically means you 'lift up / pull back' to the the head voice with Falsetto mode and then once you have made it to your head voice, using Falsetto as a 'tool' to shut down the constriction, you slowly engage your intrinsic anchoring set... and bring in the "boom".

• Administrator

So i recently got the course :D yey I know :)

Lift up pull back is for bridging right?

So when I do my sirens and melodic 5th sirens and bridging exercises

I also have to lift up pull back?

Yes. I listened to your sirens and they are totally over-kill, heavy mass pushy shouts and that is not what we are doing at TVS or any vocal training method with real merit. You need to train 'lift up / pull back' for about two weeks and totally reverse the direction your going or you are not going to get this... in fact, your going to hurt yourself... I am actually pretty concerned about it.

Listen, the WHOLE point of this... and I'm over-simplifying here, but... is to learn how to sound big and 'boomy' in your head voice. Sing Falsetto... do it right now... Sing a big hot, windy Falsetto in your head voice that sounds like a 12 year old girl... then realize THAT is what we are going to rebuild... not shove your chest voice up and up until you pop a interarytenoid muscle and ruin your voice forever.

• Administrator

YES! That is 'lift up / pull back'... now you have stopped shouting. You have stopped trying to "hit hight notes" and now you have begun to lay the foundation for singing "deep" notes with formant modifications, intrinsic anchoring, etc... You will now take that windy Falsetto and train yourself to be able to phonate twang in the head voice with, intrinsic anchoring. All explained in "The Four Pillars of Singing 2.0".

Get out of your head that Falsetto is "bad" and it is something you want to avoid... you seem to still not be convinced. You are avoiding Falsetto because you don't like the sound of it... get past that immediately, that is beginner stuff... And no you don't "flip" to Falsetto, you "bridge" to falsetto in a smooth, seamless phonation... with balance and no breaks. If you practice for 1 day, all day long, you'll get it, its not that hard.

• Administrator

So i've been doing the lift up pull back nd applied to the sirens and isthere such a thing as connecting too early?

Cuz im listening to robert and I think i connect way too early

Should i practice bridging a little later??

if you are working on 'lift up / pull back' listen to me doing 'lift up / pull back', not the sirens. When I do sirens, I am not doing a 'lift up / pull back'... or at least not in a way that is audible... Your sirens need 'lift up / pull back' ... when you get that going, then you can work on making your sirens sound more boomy like mine... right now what is happening is you are listening to me do the sirens at full blown, professional, gotta make it sound amazing because Im producing a video training program and the world is watching, mode... you think I am shouting in my chest voice, but I'm not... all of those notes that are above E4 are in my head voice... the same place where Falsetto is... but instead of singing Falsetto, I have trained my body to phonate twang with intrinsic anchoring in the head voice. I have fooled you with my sirens... I made you think that I am belting, but I'm not... it is totally, 100% in my head voice... but that is the point!!! The point is to create the illusion that you are belting and pushing like you were in the file you shared with me on FB... but that is not what I'm doing... don't get confused by the illusion that I am belting... I'm not. Its impossible...

• Administrator

So i think i can get it a bit now i'll upload a clip later

But my headvoice seems like a kindergarten compared to my headvoice

How do i strengthen my head cuz its so wimpy. What exercises should i do?

Here we go again? Stop worrying about the way Falsetto sounds... that is your first problem you need to get past... letting your dislike of the sound of Falsetto distract you from your mission. As long as you are impatient and keep worrying about "I don't like Falsetto, it doesn't sound good" you will never win. Falsetto is not what we do when we sing, but we do it all the time in training... see the vocal mode matrix in your copy of "The Four Pillars of Singing 2.0". The sooner you stop worrying about how Falsetto doesn't sound cool, the sooner you will be able to get the 'cool' sound you want... this is part of the mental game of singing training for beginners.

• Administrator

Hope this helps

Gina is spot on as well... nice job Gina... and Gina is a voice teacher and knows what she is talking about. I would say it takes years to become a Master at all the components in the phonation package... but to just get some twang going in the head voice without constriction... can take about 2 hours to 2 months based on the individual... not that hard.

How you doing Gina? Would love to get an update...

• Administrator

Yup. She said so well it almost crushed me XD hahah

Im kidding it's just we all wanna get there fast and want a quick fix

But this? Singing? Definitely takes time

Hey, there is one point I don't necessarily agree with Gina on and that is that this takes years... to get a good bridge going without 'lift up / pull back' does NOT take years... it takes anywhere from 2 hours to 2 months for anyone that is practicing... the 'years' these guys are talking about is for the entire phonation package and singing with the highest standards that they see for themselves, and since I know Gina and Bob (videohere) the standards for them are pretty professional.. Just worry about your goals right now... I stayed up until 2:00 am last night working on my voice and recording... the process of growth and getting better as a singer never ends... it is a lifestyle.