Very confused with the concept of air support...

Rate this topic

voc-al

Hey Guys.

So, I was re-reading Seth Rigg's book, Singing for the stars and he states there the following and I quote.

"Very little air is required to produce a good tone. Even for a loud tone, the amount of air you use need only be enough to support the vibration of your vocal cords - no more, no less -- so that your tone is produced without any effort or strain. Just as trying to control you breathing muscles directly will cause your vocal cords to jam up, so will using too much air. Thats because when you sin, your cords are instinctively committed to holding back ( or at least trying to hold back) any amount of air you send their way. And the more air you send them, the tighter your cords have to get to hold it back."

I was told that I dont have enough support, so I added more air, and when doing that all of a sudden I do get a tone. But, per Seth's words, it seems like I shouldn't even be thinking about breathing for singing as it should happen automatically.

Seriously, I am very confused about this...

ANYONE?

VA

He is correct , to a degree . Support isn't just about air pressure, although related. "just enough air to get a tone"- is pretty vague . As you stated, you added more air and got tone... I was tol once by a smarter person than I to "stand behind a chair, grab the sides of the chairs back, and almost lift it" that feeling in your belly and surrounding area is what you should feel when you sing. A subtitle flexing of all those muscles . People generally require more support when singing at and above their first break, or lower than is comfortable. And yes, ya don't want to push too much air. The amount of air you need is really subjective as everyOnes physiology is slightly different.