Tongue Curling

Rate this topic

Keith

I've seen Ken Tamplins' tongue do odd things when he sings. That may one way for you to get the anchoring that you need to keep a coordination. If you feel that it is becoming a crutch of sorts try to focus on keeping your tongue in a more normal position. But if it is not getting in the way of vowel production I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think it's a temporary thing. It will distract you from your real work by giving you something else to "worry about." The only thing I may notice about my tongue, if I even bother to notice, is the height of the back of the tongue, the root of italian vowels.

I usually don't notice it. I just try and get out of the way of the note.

I would personally consider it real work and something to be acutely aware of when practicing and make an attempt to fix. Until the correct tongue position becomes habit. Then you can stop thinking about it. But this kind of tongue position really does have a negative impact on your tone, it can take it in the direction of Eddie Vedder or Kermit the Frog or what the uninformed public calls "singing from the back of their throat",

I was watching the anthropological documentary "Metal Evolution." And they interviewed some of the hard core metal musicians about the "grunge" era. And referred to those singers, like Eddie Vedder and Scott Stapp as "yawrl" singers, mimicking the sound they make. And also referred to them as underbite singers, singing while jutting the jaw, and yes, curling the tongue.

And you made me remember that.

:D

Aboslute honest truth: When Creed debuted with "Higher," I really did think that Pearl Jam was releasing a new song.

Ouch!

.. And just look at what I started lol. I am now trying a "thing" to remedy that.. When I notice my tongue curling back, I try to just stick it out. It is damn difficult ! Harder than you would think anyway. And when Ken Tamplin sings, womens underwear just melts off. I dont know what it is with vocal coaches, but my girl saw a video of Robert singing a Judas Priest song, and she was like" Wow, he's hot!" >< Why can't I get that reaction??

Keith, another thing you should try is to anchor the tip of the tongue against the back of the bottom teeth for everything except those couple consonants that require the tongue to change position. I think of it like a "home base" tongue position, something you always go back to whenever possible.

I think that's an easier way to kick the habit, simply by getting it right every time and being able to literally feel that resistance of the tongue against the teeth. And personally that's what worked for me. My tongue never curls back anymore on vowels. By never I do mean absolutely never.

Your thing sounds like it will work wonders too, especially while you're initially trying to kick the habit. But I just think the tongue against the teeth thing is just a much more powerful habit and you can practice it 24/7...just keep it there while you sing, speak, even when you're not vocalizing at all. No need to press, just retain the position. That's all it takes. And poof, tongue curling gone. At least that was my experience with it.

that's the best way...when it's finished forming a lyric, put it back behind the lower front teeth. keep it there for open vowels like "ah."

.. And just look at what I started lol. I am now trying a "thing" to remedy that.. When I notice my tongue curling back, I try to just stick it out. It is damn difficult ! Harder than you would think anyway. And when Ken Tamplin sings, womens underwear just melts off. I dont know what it is with vocal coaches, but my girl saw a video of Robert singing a Judas Priest song, and she was like" Wow, he's hot!" >< Why can't I get that reaction??

That's okay, Keith. I don't get that reaction from women, either. I used to think it was lust. Turned out to be abject horror. Then, I saw a pic of myself and then their reaction made sense.

That's why, in here, my avatar is my dog. He is prettier than I am, which doesn't take much.