A few questions

Rate this topic

sean2520

Hey I'm Sean, there seems to be a serious lack of singing forums and I have never come across so many dodgy sales sites and sketchy tutorials as I have when looking online to answer my questions.

I think I am a baritone, I can't hit some of the notes of the songs I listen to.

My main question is about vocal registers, I know there is Chest, Head and falsetto. I only know about two of mine (so maybe im a tenor that doesnt know about his head voice? so many questions). My chest voice and this high pitched girly voice which I can pick off where my chest stops and go ultra high, but it and stupid but has a solid ring to it. Is this girly voice falsetto or head? I do not know? I'm hoping there is some way to make it sound like my chest, but all efforts seem futile. There is a break between this girly sound and my chest.

When I sing without music, it sounds good but it is slightly lower than the actual pitch of the song, but this doesnt sound right when I sing with the song? The octave lower always seems way too low and bassy when I sing with music, but too high is a strain. Someone once mentioned to me about singing out by a fith? I've recorded my self and I seem to sound exactly like I do 'inside my head' and it doesn't sound bad so I cant be off pitch?

From what I've researched it seems generally accepted that you can increase your range upwards by a fair margain, but it takes a very long time (5-10 years apparently). I'll keep practicing with that.

How do I learn to keep a low larnyx? There doesnt seem to be any solid technique in doing so. Because apparently that will help increase my range?

I know its abit of a shambles, there seems to be so much crap out there, people trying to sell products, I just want to progress with a solid technique.

Cheers,

Sean

Cheers for the quick reply, trust me I am working it thinner, I sing along to music for about an hour a day and the majority of 30stm that I can sing is at the upper end of my current range.

I don't have enough money to afford lessons as I am going to uni in less than a week, as well as singing being a hobby I can't pump loads of money into it. I aspire to get to the stage you are at though!

I am also glad that it doesn't take that long, because I want to join a band at uni!

It seems the only thing to do is to practice at the upper end of your range and those notes will slowly come, I think (since I started singing consitently just before christmas) I have gained a few notes, but not much at all really, still like an octave away from singing some of the 30stm chorus's.

If anyone else has anything to add, I'd love to hear it.

If you have bad habits , you will just reinforce them by not knowing what and how to practice . Singin songs is great for putting good technique into real world applications , but reinforcing bad habits is not a good idea. I suggest taking at least just 1 lesson with Robert so he can tell you what you should be doing and how to do it. 20 minutes of practicing properly outweighs 1 hour of practicing improperly. Trust me, I've been there. And sometimes, I'm still there lol.

sean, may i just point something out to you?

there's a huge difference between extending your "vocalizing range" the range from your lowest note to your highest through vocal exercise, and developing "usable" range... the range of notes you can actually sing vowels and consonants with in a song with a connected voice.

with some singers, a usable range gain of a semitone can be substantial. it can take years to make singing notes those solid, strong notes.

@VIDEOHERE yeah I know, I just want to be able to sing up there on my favorite songs :/

I might have one lesson, when I get to uni and I have abit more private space, I don't see how I'm practicing in the wrong way, I put little stress on my voice!

I would be very careful singing 30stm without proper technique and training. You will not be able to hit those chorus notes if you have constriction and poor support. You need to develop what many call a mix. This is not really the most accurate term for it, but this is the type of resonance blending that Jared Lato is using in ALL of their songs.

Here is a video to get started on what this sensation feels like.

@ConsumingFire

Cheers for the reply, yeah I can barely hit any of the notes and I do have to constrict my voice to do it, most of the time I drop down an octave to do it, but its never the same thing :/ I would LOVE to be able to do it, I've tried to find the mix but as I've said in the OP I don't even know if I've found my head voice, and you cannot blend falsetto with chest sadly. (it seems)

Ill check that vid out