Mix Voice/Head Voice = A Hell of a Lot of Support?

Rate this topic

Overdrive

I'm still here working on mix voice, and have quickly found that I get much closer to my desired tone if I'm starting in around high chest voice and then am gradually adding support as it gets higher and it's like, maybe I'm pulling chest voice but I can get pretty dang high with this (although it doesn't sound very great). I don't know the definition of pulling chest voice but I think it has to do with yelling the high notes, which I don't do.

I should definitely note that what I think is "support" does feel kind of like clenching my abs (I never understood if that was bad or not). Problems with what I'm doing are that the really high notes can get very wobbly and hard to control, and also it doesn't sound great yet but I think it sounds as good as I ever have on those notes.

http://soundcloud.com/tmusician/mix-voice-test/s-1wQNg

I tried two songs, the first half is a calm one and the second is a rock one.

At times it definitely doesn't sound good, but at times I think it does. I feel like if I keep singing around this area and my voice gets used to it, it will all be good and it will take less work.

support should feel more like an expansion feeling in your belly, sides, and back (a simplified explanation).

from that expansion, you can tense a bit...... let's say you need a little punch for a high note...some singers do, others don't.

if you tense unexpanded, you are likely to choke off your air.

support should feel more like an expansion feeling in your belly, sides, and back (a simplified explanation).

from that expansion, you can tense a bit...... let's say you need a little punch for a high note...some singers do, others don't.

if you tense unexpanded, you are likely to choke off your air.

Yeah when I tense up I think I am expanding more at the same time. Does the recording sound like it's on the right track and I should keep working with it?

I'm pretty sure that I'm feeling less tense than I did yesterday when I was first messing with this stuff.

You may be in mix or head voice sometimes on the very highest notes, it's hard to tell with both vocals going on at the same time. But for the most part you are just pulling chest with brute force and your throat is constricting.

I'm also hearing pitch inconsistencies. Sometimes you are singing right on the pitch, other times you are flat. Which suggests that those pitch problems are probably just a symptom of your pushy technique.

Where to go from here: Practice singing with a lighter tone, go ahead, make it too light at first, and just focus on nailing the pitches. Focus less on support and go for a slightly floaty sensation. On the high notes you'll probably find yourself in a new register that feels a little different from chest voice. That is probably going to be way closer to mix voice/head voice than what you are currently doing.

This is also what I heard in the song.

I can tell you from a first hand experience that you should not feel a tightening of the abs. Well, they should feel tight but that is because they are expanded and staying expanded. If you are not careful you can easily mistake a pushing in feeling for a full expansion feeling. I did the same thing you were doing here and I was able to sing what I thought sounded good but it was heavy pushed chest voice and I was choking off my air and bringing a ton of tension in. I was able to do that for about a week until I did a little damage to my voice and had to back off for awhile and learn the right way.

These are a couple of good videos that have helped me.

Watch all 7 parts.

This was also very helpful to me. Both of these videos were made by people on this forum.

Thank you for the links, although I haven't noticed any impact on myself yet.

Here's a really short clip of me trying to do the mix range without forcing the chest sound. First part is a lip roll throughout and second is a little random singing thing (and note it's louder than the lip rolls so don't turn up the volume lol).

http://soundcloud.com/tmusician/mix-test-2/s-xKKcW

With the emission breathy as it is, trying to support will be impossible.

I recommend looking for a coach, you will only confuse yourself working like this. GL.

For the next 2 years I can not get a coach (let's just say I live in Greece and don't speak Greek). I don't mind the confusion, I've been confused about vocal stuff my whole life. It's taken years of confusion for me to finally have a good-sounding and comfortable scream! But it's worth it. Anyway I'm willing to try any suggestions, got any tips to reduce breathiness in this area and add support? I could try the stretches from izzle's video every day?