ANY IDEAS FOR MAKING A NEW VIDEO

Rate this topic

Danielformica

Just a thought : Take part of a song that ranges between C3 and A4 break down part of the techniques that you use to sing in this problem area. Or steps that you would take when smoothing out a new song.

I am sure that any thing you come up with will be helpful.

Thank you for the Videos you made before.

Don't forget the pink cowboy hat.

Of course, in the previous videos, I like the banter from the band members. My former co-workers and I called that slam. Slamming each other. In fact, if you did not execute a piquant bon mot on your fellow workmate, it could be assumed that something was wrong with you. So, that was like old school, for me. I would hold the door open for my old friend, Lee. He was 17 years older than I was. And I would say "age before beauty." And he would retort, "pearls before swine." Or, he would say, "I feel like crap." And I would reply, "Well, you look like it. And you kinda smell like it, too."

You had to be there.

Okay. In the last one, you went over the basic warm-ups to make sure your coordination is a happenin' thing. So, I don't know if you want to go more with instruction, or more with "day in the life."

I like the day in the life stuff. Maybe you could do a sound-check. Or even a "Spinnal Tap" moment. Going from prep room to stage and you take a wrong turn while saying "Hello, Cleveland!" into a mop closet.

I like M's idea of how to work a song into one's voice. Even with all the basics, etc, it is still wise to iron out a song in one's voice. David Lee Roth does that. Even with back catalog from Van Halen. If it's an older song being included in the set list and he has not done it in a while, he will work it over, again.

Or, if you and the band are recording, show some of that. James Lugo shared a video of him recording some stuff ( I think it was not too long before he went record some stuff with Nazareth.)

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be good and I will enjoy it as much as I did your previous stuff.

Definitely include the pink cowboy hat.

Since you once had WORSE technique and range than you do now - and now your technique and range is very good, perhaps you could make a video where you try to remember your journey that made you a better singer - which exercises you did, how you approached singing with your band as your songs got progressively more tough.

Or you could teach us just anything regarding road life or being on the stage, or interacting with the crowd - something like that.

Daniel - It would be cool if you did a video on your David Coverdale distortion technique - especially up high. It's one of your very impressive techniques. How you practice it, where it comes from, how do we go about learning it.

Hey Geno the truth is with rasp and distortion I experimented but not much at home because I was always resting my voice at home trying to baby it, to make sure I would be able to sing the next few nights. What happened was when I finally got to a point where I was blowing myself out and was on a role for a year with no vocal problems I would be on a gig and I would try and sound more like the artist. Some nights I would find a place that worked and then other nights I would beat up my voice a little and i would have to baby it again for a week or so. The years when I was just trying to get through the gigs I just sounded like a clean high singer doing Whitesnake, and Ac/Dc. Remember I chose to do this years ago for a living so I worked myself into a corner and couldnt afford to not work.

So the experimenting was live. Now over time I have it pretty consistent however I still don't practice it much. If I do sing in the studio and use rasp I just use the same principles as I do for singing. The main one being I try not to do it to loud. And also when you are experimenting realize that it is different vocal configurations for each kind of rasp (grohl,cornell,coverdale axl) and if you get stuck working on one to much it will not be easy to get back to a "neutral" singing configuration.

It's a give and take at least it is for me but I do believe it can be worked on. If you ever wanna skype and just work on that stuff hit me up, any of you guys its alot of fun for me.:)

I watched all your videos and they were very interesting Daniel. You could probably make a thing out of your youtube channel by just showing clips from your working life, and doing covers. Hell, worse singers have had some success out of less.

That said, I second the idea of a video that shows how you got to where you are now. I started singing about 5 years ago and each year I am 100x better, but I want to be 1000000.....x better, and I suspect many of us feel the same. But it's hard to know how good we can get, we just reach for the stars.. :P

A bit of insight on how you got to where you are vocally would make for a good video I think.

Jens youre so damn handsome you don't need any advice in that dept but the cowboy hat works wonders:)

If that's a recent picture in his avatar at least he doesn't need the wig. :P BTW my hair is still halfway down my back. Not too much up top though. :cool:

Daniel,

definitely do something dealing with your stage routine. I don't think most people on here realize how wheels off your stage performance can get in these bands(and yet completely coordinated) and if I could turn back the clock and be 20 again I would be working my ass off to be a better performer.

ESPECIALLY as an original artist. No matter how distasteful it may seem...we are all sales people when we hit the stage(IMO.)

Looking forward to whatever you do. Keep it up man!

So, we're torn between technical nuts and bolts of singing and actual features of live performance. I think, at least for me it has always been, the latter is the ultimate goal.

That is, believe it or not, I think the ultimate goal is to perform in front of others, not just forever, here in the forum.

I have performed in front of others. No one has run me off, yet. Then, again, I am tall and scary-looking. ("Maybe, if we keep quiet, applaud a few times, he'll go away when he gets tired.")

:lol: