Lip Bubbles - Slight pain in jaw

Rate this topic

voc-al

Hey Guys..

Every now and again when I do the lip rolls, usually when I get to the high notes, and continues all the way down to the end, i feel a slight pain, like muscles maybe hurting lightly behind both my jaws.

Is this normal? Is it a good sign, a bad sign?

I also noticed that sometimes my bubbles stop, air comes out, and the tone continues. Weird.... Should I be practicing bubbles with no tone to get my lips used to it?

Thanks for the amazing support!

VA

Not sure what kind of pain you are feeling. If it actually hurts that's not a good thing. I would back down a little or take a day or two off and try again.

The lip rolls stopping is normal - they can get dry or they can become tight. The fastest way to get back is to keep your lips moist - just lick them if it happens. Eventually you won't need to do this as you'll be able to keep them relaxed. If you've got really thin lips the lips rolls may not be for you. You could try tongue trills instead, or Z's.

I was born with my bottom jaw is a bit receded, so I dont have the normal mouth i guess... Maybe that is the reason.

Its not really pain, as more like if I do abs, and then it starts to get hard to do them, and you feel this tension in the abs. So the same thing, as If i am exercising and then it feels tense in the jaw. Maybe its my jaw muscles refusing to let go like seth is saying? Anyone ever had this?

The receded jaw might do it. Do you only feel this tension only when you do lip bubbles? If that's the case, maybe your receded jaw just makes lip bubbles too difficult to produce and you shouldn't worry about that exercise. Sort of like how people with short tongues can't do tongue trills. There are tons of other exercises that achieve the same purpose as lip and tongue trills so don't waste your time on one that is really fighting your natural physiology. So try tongue trills, humming, ng, zzzzz, vvvvv, or singing through a straw. All those exercises really go at the same purpose. Each one does it in a slightly different manner but the general effect is very similar.

I am on my knees, begging everyone to please read this post and commit it to memory. Burn it into your brain, tattoo it backwards onto your forehead so that you see it in the right direction when you look in the mirror. Do what works with your structure. Just because some italian guy with full, pouty lips can do this does not mean that you with your thin german lips (if that is what you have) will achieve the same results. Find one that works for you. I have thin lips. So, suprisingly enough, I have better luck with tongue trills (which I have always been able to do and it makes it easier for me to speak german and spanish) and even v's (for warm-up.)

Quit beating yourself up and bringing literal pain upon yourself trying to do exactly what someone else does.

Then, again, I suppose, consulting a good voice coach would lead to this realization that another thing would work better than the actual lip bubbles.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox. Silly thing has splinters, too.

Ronws: LOL. no, Its not that kind of pain, and lip bubbles aren't that difficult for me. Infact I can do them even without putting my hands on my jaws. So, I am not worried. :) Its tounge trill that cause me to have a sore throat and are more difficult than lip bubbles.

And I can wiggle my ears. Doesn't do anything for my singing but it fascinates babies and toddlers.

Anyway, as long as one can find a way to train breath support.

As for the TMJ thing, I have it on the right side of my jaw. I just ignore it. I have a high tolerance for discomfort. And I only notice it once in a while.

But I realize, too, that for others, to get that pop can be disconcerting. Me, I just don't know when to quit and evidently, nothing is going to stop me from singing.

I can do lip bubbles if I dimple my cheeks with finger tips. That's another option for those of us with thin lips.