Do you think this is good singing?

Rate this topic

DDisNow

I was watching this audition from "X-Factor" Australia and found it worth of posting. I'm curious what you guys think.

My thoughts are slightly below, so you could watch no preconceived notions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ou2BsyjgJc

Ok, So I strongly disliked it (borderline hated) it and yet everyone went crazy like it's the greatest thing they've ever heard.

For the criticism - I didn't hear an actual song in there. All I heard was a bunch of tasteless screams, yelps, ugly runs and a whole bunch of noise.

Also, I found her tone way too shrill, splatty and off putting in general.

I can't be the only one. What do you guys think?

Why is everybody so excited about this?

If I was a judge there, I'd say no. :cool:

I think what the judges are sometimes looking at is not so much taste but the over control of the singer's voice. You can tell a singer to tone down the runs, but it's apparant that the singer in this clip can probably sing whatever the hell she wants - so the coaches can mold her a bit. But I agree with you that she probably overdid the runs. I disagree with her sound, I always like a bit of rasp here and there. Cheers!

It's not really my style, but she sure is good. For all those that love that kind of singing, I can absolutely understand how they would love this.

I do not HATE this, I do not love it either but that is due to my taste, not cause I think she is bad or tasteless.

I agree the runs were excessive. I like a good run as much as anyone else, but I feel they should be done in moderation. Otherwise, you're simply putting on a technique demonstration rather than singing a song.

"Overdressing" a song can sometimes disconnect a singer from the message they're looking to convey.

Well, I see I'm in the minority, but that's nothing new.

I don't care if she can belt out an E12 or do 5 million runs per note. If you are a singer, your job is to sing a song, tell a story, express a message, make people feel. Whatever you wanna call it.

Your job is not to go out there and for three minutes display each and every single trick you ever learned and pretend you're actually singing a song.

This audition was the equivalent of listening to a "Greatest Hits" CD where each and every song sucks.

Owen this one you sent, its pure auto-tune. But she is a kid, I actually rather hear her voice auto-tuned to death than all tampered around to sound like an adult, better chances of not destroying her voice before adulthood.

But the original post... Really guys, how is it possible to say that its not good? Technically, she is nailing the whole thing, its not her fault that the original song is like that (which I also dont like), maybe her fault was choosing it?

Anyways, she knows what she is doing, which is something not usuall on this kind of circus, and her stance makes me very very happy. She knows what she is doing, she said so before singing, kept it cool and besides really doing a great job, also made it very clear that not only she knows her stuff, as it is easy and simple for her.

Straight to the point, and in my opinion, better than the original. Too bad its not the whole song.

The remarks on strainning are wrong. She just pushed a bit and within her limits. Unlike other samples from the same kind of show, you can barelly hear the auto-tune working on this, just a few minor spots, but was not necessary.

So as a listenner, I think its nice, because the kind of song is not the style I like, and I dont like runs, I really hate them. The only reason I dont hate this is because is not that exagerated diva thing, and its not all pressed back as the usuall Mariah Carey clones do.

But technically, very, very good.

I don't think power translates well to video. Being there live was probably much more impressive than watching this video on youtube. That said, she's definitely a good singer, though it was too show-offy for my tastes.

I thinks he sang very very well and I think her technique was spot on for the most part. She had just a second here or there that was a little splatty, but I certainly would too if I were singing for that kind of audience.

Do I get the impression that she's the next Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston? Possibly, but not just from that one audition video. I'd like to see more. Also keep in mind that the sound that the people in the room are hearing is different from what we're hearing on the video.

Im yet to hear a singer, standing in front of me sounding exactly like auto-tune. There are a few that can make the tone so steady that it actually sounds quite close to it, but the fixes on the scoops and formants are what give it away.

On the first clip, I didnt say it to demerit, but as a compliment. You see all the material of that show passes through the usuall "sound good" recipe, and auto-tune is in it, on a few spots you can hear a bit kicking in, was totally unecessary, actually it is messing with her voice. But if its kicking in just in very few spots, it means there was absolutely nothing to correct on the other places, and given the ammount of correction and the fast production line used to do this stuff (glee like material), its something quite nice. Should be the least expected from a professional singer in my opinion, but given the situation and the usuall level of quality presented there, its something remarcable.

About the clip you say that was criticized, cant say anything without hearing, but if there is autotune, I assure you I will notice it, provided its not on 64k mp3 of course. Good set of phones and knowing what to look for, its nearly impossible to go wrong.