How to Keep from Oversinging Live

Rate this topic

Negoba

Just played a gig last night. Practicing in my car, I have alot of control over volume and pressure, but live with the guitar on and in the moment, it's so hard not to push. I can hear my tone isn't as good, and my voice wears out faster. Even the main singer says "Dude, let the microphone do the work."

I play in coffee shop settings, so monitoring without blowing the place out can be hard. That may be some of it but more is just discipline.

Have others had this issue and if so what did you do to fix it?

I suppose the adrenalin of being in the moment plays a little role in over singing. It has to be very exciting. I would like to ask, do you have monitors for yourself? If you hear yourself in the monitors (in ears or floor) it may help you realize how powerfully you are singing.

Steve

I play in an acoustic duo. We have a single floor monitor that we place in front of us mid stage. Again, we are at low enough volumes that my voice in the air (and reflected off the close space of the mic itself) is as audible to me as the monitor.

(This is also a difficulty with acoustic guitars which are naturally about 50-60% of the volume we want for many of the rooms we're in)

Sat down with my guitar (without a mic) and realized how much tension from my arms ends up in my throat. It was major major work to relax enough to then get real control.

I'm hoping just practicing this way will help.