Beginner Singer

• TMV World Legacy Member

Okay I just started singing a while ago, so I am pretty bad at the moment. I just started doing Brett Mannings Singing Success the past two weeks. This is more of a reference point for me to remember how much I improved, once I actually start improving. And I know I will! Anyways, the song is by City and Colour, I only listened to it about three times, by no means did I try to emulate them musically or vocally, or even ryhtmatically (is that even a word?) for that matter. Again, I just started singing, and did this in about 5 takes, so please excuse the whiny voice at times.

Here it is:

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16914440/undefined

The first thing you should do if you want to be a good singer, is to make a new profile with another user name.

"IAmGoingToBeAnAwesomeSinger" for example. If you think of yourself as a bad singer, it's going to be harder to progress than if you having a more optimistic mindset about it. Even though you might say "I will improve", you need to believe it before you physically start it! And I'm sure you can do that.

Everyone can learn to be a good singer, and you definitely have a good foundation.

Go make a new profile and come back :)

The first thing you should do if you want to be a good singer, is to make a new profile with another user name.

"IAmGoingToBeAnAwesomeSinger" for example. If you think of yourself as a bad singer, it's going to be harder to progress than if you having a more optimistic mindset about it. Even though you might say "I will improve", you need to believe it before you physically start it! And I'm sure you can do that.

Everyone can learn to be a good singer, and you definitely have a good foundation.

Go make a new profile and come back :)

Damn, literally half of the people I talked to said the same thing, so I am requesting a username change. But with that being said, it's just the username I selected, it doesn't really reflect my mindstate accept for the fact that I know im not a good singer... YET. Thanks for the kind words and advivce :)

Is there any way you could elaborate on the "good foundation" statement? :D

Well. You have a nice sound. I like it. If you were more on pitch, this could actually be pretty good.

Your user name and the clip didn't match for me, due to the quality of your voice. But definitely, pitch is pretty important to work on at the moment. I can't tell you how to do that though, since that was my force when I began.

When you've over time have gotten good pitch, you could easily be called a good singer.

How's your range at the moment? I started out couldn't hit C4 (middle c), but here's two clips of me now:

http://www.rofleren.dk/music/Movie_0007.wmv

A few days ago I made a breakthrough into the head voice area. I'm vocalizing F5's in the clip. I've never gone so high without going into falsetto. You don't have to like the sounds made in this clip to appreciate the fact, that when you have a good teacher (I only had him for four weeks, Eli Prinsen) he can show you awesome stuff. Right now the quality of "that voice" is only going to get better. But that's a sing with singers, if you haven't already noticed; there are some weird sounding exercises out there.

This is me in my first and only performance ever (in front of my entire school)

This guy, check out all the videos by him, made me able to "twang" into middle voice.

<-- This was like the KEYSTONE for me being able to go higher than F#4, which became my stopping block.

All three very different sounds, and once I can integrate them all together, it's going to be awesome.

Btw. I still as many others, are confused about what is head voice, mixed voice and chest voice. I've settled for what my current teacher says it is. It doesn't really matter in the end anyway, and if you really try to listen to everyone it's only going to confuse you. At least it did for me.

Yeah, we're not going to shut up until your login id is changed. Doesn't matter whether you are merely being descriptive. You could be telling the truth as you see it but the name is wrong and it will be a sticking point and no, we will not get over it and no, we will not grow and just accept the humor of it.

Something my Mom taught me. And life has taught me, over and over and over again. There are consequences to your actions. And you may not like the consequences. And many times, it will seem unfair. Too bad. Welcome to the world, where life is unfair.

So, yeah, your log in is going to be a sticking point. Though no one in my family said I could not sing, they beat me up psychologically just as much as anyone else. That is, my singing is fine even though I am worthless as a human being, and ugly, to boot. The ugly demon who lives beneath the dirt that supports the worm, with the voice of an angel. Hence, I am on the highway to Hell. People think I just sing the song because I have the range .. long story, some other time....

Others here have received psychological trauma or unfair criticisms of their voice. And the only way to get past that is to believe that they can become better as a singer. And anything that does not aid that or support that drive to be a better singer is better off to be discarded.

So, you'll just have to accept the fact that you will get grief from others until your login changes. There are consequences to your actions. Sorry about your luck.

Well. You have a nice sound. I like it. If you were more on pitch, this could actually be pretty good.

Your user name and the clip didn't match for me, due to the quality of your voice. But definitely, pitch is pretty important to work on at the moment. I can't tell you how to do that though, since that was my force when I began.

When you've over time have gotten good pitch, you could easily be called a good singer.

How's your range at the moment? I started out couldn't hit C4 (middle c), but here's two clips of me now:

http://www.rofleren.dk/music/Movie_0007.wmv

A few days ago I made a breakthrough into the head voice area. I'm vocalizing F5's in the clip. I've never gone so high without going into falsetto. You don't have to like the sounds made in this clip to appreciate the fact, that when you have a good teacher (I only had him for four weeks, Eli Prinsen) he can show you awesome stuff. Right now the quality of "that voice" is only going to get better. But that's a sing with singers, if you haven't already noticed; there are some weird sounding exercises out there.

This is me in my first and only performance ever (in front of my entire school)

This guy, check out all the videos by him, made me able to "twang" into middle voice.

<-- This was like the KEYSTONE for me being able to go higher than F#4, which became my stopping block.

All three very different sounds, and once I can integrate them all together, it's going to be awesome.

Btw. I still as many others, are confused about what is head voice, mixed voice and chest voice. I've settled for what my current teacher says it is. It doesn't really matter in the end anyway, and if you really try to listen to everyone it's only going to confuse you. At least it did for me.

Thanks for all the helpful info Rofleren! I listened to your clip and seen your performance! They both sound awesome. :) Like you said, it would be better if it was more on pitch. I'm just a begginer and one of my issues is singing consistently on pitch. I'm thinking that a vocal coach will definitely help with that. As far as my range, I can only sing upto d4 in my chest voice, then after that I go right into my head voice. I can sing upto c5 in my head voice. But at the moment my head voice doesn't sound all too good. Very thin, and somewhat breathy.

Does singing in your mix voice allow you to sing higher notes than just your chest voice? Because one of my goals is to sing higher in my chest / mixed voice without going into my head voice.

As far as the vocal coaching from the person you suggesting... I really appreciate the gesture but I think I'd be more comfortable doing the lessons in person rather than online. That's just me though, I don't know what it is but I find I learn better and have more fun when there is someone teaching me in person. Regarding the whole head / mix / chest voice and trying to listen to everyone... It does get really confusing with me. With some singers like The Weeknd, his voice is so damn high I can never tell if he's singing in his mix or head voice... very confusing.

Thanks for all the help! I will be changing my username, and constantly be getting better at singing (I hope).

Just to "warn" you: There will be times, weeks and months where you feel like you're not progressing very much, but if you stick with doing your scales, breathing exercises etc. you will improve over time, even though you feel like you're stuck. That has happened for me a few times.

Yes. You will be able to sound like your voice is one continuous voice and not three different voices, in time. I can't do it yet myself. My chest and mix is beginning to blend together somewhat though.

Like you said, it would be better if it was more on pitch. I'm just a begginer and one of my issues is singing consistently on pitch. I'm thinking that a vocal coach will definitely help with that. As far as my range, I can only sing upto d4 in my chest voice, then after that I go right into my head voice. I can sing upto c5 in my head voice. But at the moment my head voice doesn't sound all too good. Very thin, and somewhat breathy.

Does singing in your mix voice allow you to sing higher notes than just your chest voice? Because one of my goals is to sing higher in my chest / mixed voice without going into my head voice.

In as many words as your question, yes. The ability to have the sound of "chest" throughout out most of your range. There will also feel like something of an 2nd passaggio. Until someone else proves me wrong, and I read this from people more knowledgable than I am, around D5 or so, is a tonal shift, even for tenors. Because the size of the resonation for notes that high and higher are so small, there is only room for the fundamental and not really for overtones. The reinforcement or non-reinforcement of certain overtones is what makes the different vowel sounds. After the tonal shift arond D5, vowels all begin to sound the same. Some guys mistake this for "pure head voice" or "head voice", even though they've been in mostly head voice since about an octave below that, around your 1st passagio.

As for the pitch thingy, that just a mechanical thing that will improve with time as you get better at hearing. Also, you can sound off key when singing along with a song without being off key. Because the original singer needs one vowel shape to sing that note and you need another to sing the same note. And that can create an odd aural effect. So, when you are working on pitch, try to do it with just a musical instrument or go to a website that gives keyboard or piano tones.