Accelerating lipbubbles

Rate this topic

breakin

I'm working on breathing and placement for high notes. I think I'm starting to identify a problem I have; overblowing.

First: When I sing in falsetto at C5 or above it sounds very "sharp". Example:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19750082/recordings/weird.mp3

I'm also doing lipbubbles (with fingers in the cheeks to reduce weight of my face) since I heard this helps finding placement a bit. To me it sounds like the bubbles are going faster as I ascend.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19750082/recordings/liprolls.mp3

To me this seams like the same problem, overblowing. Anyone agree? (I have some follow up questions on this if this is the case).

Bonus: At the end of the liproll-clip I tried to copy the puppy sound from

. That is what I try to engage to make my lipbubbles go so high. Without doing this they stick on say B4. When I do this my throat kinda bulge out which could be the tilting thing, but it could also be me straining. It feels very easy though. Am I onto something or is this stupid?

Thanks for the input Videohere!

I guess I have to go back to praciting them. Is this a good guide

?

I'm having a hard time making them consistent, I was thinking that it might be due to lack of increasing support as I ascend (not holding back air). Could be the too-tightness of them as well I guess.

Does anyone know if the fact that I hold my fingers in my cheek affect my ability to relax my lips/jaw? Almost seems that way to me.

When I sing in falsetto/headvoice it most certainly sounds like I'm not holding back air properly, would you agree?

when doing lip bubles aim for relaxation, trying to "connect" as people say around here will make you squeak on the passagio, which will defeat the purpose of warming up your voice.

On a low comfortable note, mimic an owl, a very hollow oo, then do the bubbles using a firm version of this, and breathing well before each. Try doing a steady low tone first and doing it right, before going a little higher on pitch. Let the sound spread a bit more, its too pointed forward, squeezed. Aim to: relax your breathing and jaw, and remove the excessive air.

technicall problems aside, the second part of your first sample sounds very pleasant. I would watch out for the ammount of air you are using there, its breathy and it puts too much stress on your voice.

when doing lip bubles aim for relaxation, trying to "connect" as people say around here will make you squeak on the passagio, which will defeat the purpose of warming up your voice.

On a low comfortable note, mimic an owl, a very hollow oo, then do the bubbles using a firm version of this, and breathing well before each. Try doing a steady low tone first and doing it right, before going a little higher on pitch. Let the sound spread a bit more, its too pointed forward, squeezed. Aim to: relax your breathing and jaw, and remove the excessive air.

technicall problems aside, the second part of your first sample sounds very pleasant. I would watch out for the ammount of air you are using there, its breathy and it puts too much stress on your voice.

That seems like really good advice. That's what I'm trying next time I can do this.

You say that I use too much air and that it is breathy. Do you have any suggestion/hint on what my problem could be? I find that the note gets very shrill above C5 and it feels straining due to too much air, but I haven't been able to use less air... :(

Thanks for chiming in!

as I said, lip bubbles will not fix the problem... But you can improve it and at least make it help you warm up better to sing.

On a low note, first find that oo, using the owl sound, or a pidgeon. then use it, you can make it more intense in order to ajust it a little better. Do not try to go up until you get the low tone correct. Should feel pretty good.

as I said, lip bubbles will not fix the problem... But you can improve it and at least make it help you warm up better to sing.

What would fix the problem of the breathiness? If we ignore the lipbubbles for now?

I think I found an area of support where I was misunderstanding things, so maybe I could do it somewhat better once I use my support properly. Could that be it?

On a low note, first find that oo, using the owl sound, or a pidgeon. then use it, you can make it more intense in order to ajust it a little better. Do not try to go up until you get the low tone correct. Should feel pretty good.

Thanks again for this tip. I'm trying this.

breaking, there is no way to get this done alone, unfortunately. To fix the problems you will need a coach to work with you, the problem may be on lots of things, including a simple ajustment of your intention when producing the note.

But this may help you relax the lip bubbles, which is something you will need, together with tongue trills.

GL

Your bubbles do sound quite tight. The pitch of the note behind them should not dictate the speed of the bubbles. I find that I get a bit louder as the pitch goes up but the bubbles remain at a constant speed. When i do them, i don't feel like the note and lips are connected... it's like I'm just singing behind a bubble (if that makes sense!) The slower you can get them, the better, as it shows how much of a grasp you've got on your air flow.

What I would recommend would be to vocalise on more of an 'UH' sound (like you're saying 'BUH') whilst also making it sound "dopey". I've done a quick example with no effects so that you can hear the consistency of the bubbles when changing pitch.

The clip is a bubble on a comfortable note, bubble on a scale and a finally a bubble on a slide

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25229848/lip%20bubbles.mp3

apologies for the slight distortion on the mic and the huge breaks in my voice! aha i want to say "this was recorded at the end of a long day, in 2 minutes and i was dehydrated and my big toe was hurting which put me off".. but at the end of the day, I'm just not that good!

MB20: Well toe ache aside, yours sound much better than mine! And with non-accelerating bubbles! I'm trying to get my support together and I feel that I can make air go out slower but I find it hard to be active in my body while air goes out slowly. It's like I don't have enough energy to start the lip bubbles when I use little air. Maybe my lips are too heavy ;)

Do you focus on your lips somehow? Make them protrude? I'm trying different things but I can't quite make the puzzle fit together!

Thanks for the clip, I've saved and I will treasure it and hold it as my ultimate goal!

I have to say the key for me was when i found myself able to relax a bit more and really just let my face drop, letting my hands take the weight of my face. It might be helpful to push your cheeks up even further? that worked for me and then i sort of eased off. My face before i push my cheeks up is kind of a dopey sad pout (!?). Experiment a bit. I never used to be able to do them properly, in fact the vibrations used to make my nose itch to the point where i'd have to scratch between each semitone in the scale!

I know what you mean about the energy.. it's all about finding that balance.

haha I wouldn't hold it as your ultimate goal :P but i hope it helped in some way. If you wanted i could do a quick video so you have a visual element up close?