another lesson learned (again!!!)

Rate this topic

VideoHere

folks,

real quick....i was in a karaoke contest last thursday......i had a bad cold.......it was the judge's pick, and the song was "give me just a little more time" (chairman of the board) the song they use in the new swiffer duster tv commercial.

i sang the best i could with the cold, and i struggled through it, missing notes, straining, the whole 9 yards. i felt it was a subpar performance, and yet the audience loved it.....

all this praise...2, 10s and a 9.5..go figure!

not just raging applause, but those folks who come up to you after the show and tell you personally how great it was....

so to all my fellow singers, the moral of the story..... (which for me may never fully sink in).... just because you know you did poorly, doesn't mean the audience thinks you did.

maybe one day i'll believe them...

bob

I know why you were such a hit. Because you didn't start the performance with apologies or excuses. You just launched it and though you know you missed some things, it did not stop you and rolled with it. You are not just some technical singer. You are a performer. And deserve every bit of applause and good wishes. Of course, I know you sing greatly. So, even your "off" day beats the tar out other people's best day.

not just raging applause, but those folks who come up to you after the show and tell you personally how great it was....

I can definitely relate to that. I don't want to make your thread about me but...

When I sing karaoke, it isn't the people that come up to me (or comment as I'm passing them) and say "nice job." It's those people that go out of there way to get to you to comment. The ones that do it even though they don't have to.

so to all my fellow singers, the moral of the story..... (which for me may never fully sink in).... just because you know you did poorly, doesn't mean the audience thinks you did.

Once again....ditto! I have had people not even in the audience but waiting on line for dinner, leave the line to come to me and comment. Meanwhile I was busy thinking about the mistakes I made and my faults.

Nice job Bob and I am sire you did well despite what you thought. I guess the audience is looking for entertainment while you (we) are looking for perfection. There's a difference and they don't mean squat to each other. :)

jens...lol!!!!

tommy, that's so true...it's actually hard to accept the praise because you know deep down in your heart it could have been better.

it's like "thank you for liking me because of what you heard.....even though i sure as hell didn't."

then you have days where you nail something, but there's no reaction......

Congrats! :D Sometimes you may start off thinking " Oh Well, I'm not going to sound my best tonight" Then you can relax and get into it, Not worrying if you are going to mess up or not. People feel it when you are having fun. They also feel it when you are nervous.

So go in have a blast don't worry about messups. :)