Flight Of Icarus + hallelujah

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi, here's me singing a bit of Flight of Icarus by iron maiden. It's only a little bit of the song because i didn't have time to do the whole thing and if I do do it I'll start from scratch, so I thought I might as well upload this just for the sake of it. Also, I was going through my hard drives and found some old live recordings from a few years ago, so I thought I would share the very worst one I could find, which is Hallelujah. My friend Kenneth had his guitar tuned wrong so we played it an octave above what we had rehearsed, so it's really strained in places.

Anyway, hope you enjoy, feedback very welcome.

http://soundcloud.com/maxswinton/hallelujah

A few questions . How long have you been singin ?

Where did you learn?

What is your useable range?

You make this stuff sound easy web you sing it. I'd like to hear the entire flight of Icarus when you can find the time to do it.

www.drop-head.com

Are you a professional singer? Your delivery of Flight of Icarus sounds awesome. I think Hallelujah was.. interesting :) Also I listened to your cover of Rainbow in the Dark. I think it's undeniable you have a great classic heavy metal voice.

Good stuff, Max.

With a voice like that and public performance creds already in evidence, you already have the chops. Do the audiences like it? The one's that are paying a cover charge and hearing you?

We can get really technical and tell you to do all kinds of things your voice may or may not do. If you are not feeling pain and can do this stuff every time you gig, chances are, you are doing the right things.

I couldn't find anything to "correct." Even with what you thought was a problematic performance of "hallelujah." Other than the guitar with one string out of tune, forgivable in a live situation. You didn't sound strained to me. But maybe you felt strain. Which could be important, for you.

And I would really like to hear the full version of "Icarus." What you have is good, so far.

"Flight of Icarus" was bad ass. (probably in my top 3 of Maiden tunes, actually)

Mr Bounce is correct. Your voice is perfect for old school metal like Priest, Maiden, etc.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

hi guys, thanks for the comments. i'll try to answer your questions as well as I can.

I've been singing for years, started when I was 14/15 and I'm 24 now. I learned by doing it, never had lessons or bought any kind of instructional program. My range is probably around 3.5 - 4 octaves but i'm not really sure, none of it's falsetto and I actually have an extremely hard time producing falsetto, it doesn't work for me at all. I'll try and do some full songs as soon as I can.

I'm not a professional singer, I'm a waiter trying to be an artist who sings for fun, although I would love to be a pro singer.

I haven't done a live show in probably 4 years, I hardly sing at all, maybe a few times a week because I don't get a chance usually. I am trying to do more, however my recording set up is rubbish and I find myself really over singing so I need to sort that out and see if I can make it more comfortable.

Basically i do it for fun, want to do a lot more of it and start gigging again when I can. Thanks for listening, I'll try and get something more substantial up soon.

Max

Max, I envy your really gritty "A"-sounds; like "As the sun [...]" and "shAtters"!

I'm having minor troubles with it myself, and I'd be happy if you'll write a sentence or two of how you do it.

All in all, Flight of Icarus was greatly (!) done, and therefore I shall be rather tough on you.

1. "And a young boy appears" has a wonderfully thick, almost operatic, timbre. It's way too good not to adopt that particular timbre unto every lower note. The earlier counterpart "Above the ground" does not have it, and it lacks the magic you conjure later on.

2. Your performance is kind of heavy/deep/dark, which is a pretty cocky (but I like it that way) thing to do when it involves higher notes because, in contrast to your lower voice, the higher notes ("gaze" and "in the name of God, my Father, I fly") sound bright/thin, which in turn detracts us from the illusion of one, vast voice.

I'm in no way pushing for a radical change, because that would be too much. Just slightly more grit would do it.

I've been there, and it's so easy to add grit the wrong way.

One way to do it is to sing the relevant phrase as you usually do it, so you'll get the correct "settings" in your pipes, switch from the head voice mindset to a more chesty mindset, and do it again "from below".

It's not easy, but once you get the hang of it; the vocal connectivity (while singing in a heavy/dark manner) is solid as a rock.

Thanks very much guys, glad you enjoyed it, when I'm in a position to get into a band I'll definitely try and do so. Enander, unfortunately I don't know how to really describe what I'm doing so I can't really be of much help there, it feels sort of like I'm pulling the sound back from the front of my mouth to the roof of my mouth at the back, but I have no idea how to explain correctly what I'm doing, it's all just intuitive and trial and error. I agree with your comments about flight of icarus, the higher notes could do with some thickening up. I think that there is a lot of over singing going on here as well, usually I can get really thick mid high notes, need to tweak how I record i think. Your voice is insane, you don't need any distortion advice from me, and it's clear that we both add distortion in a different way to one another, your voice has much more of an edge than mine, mine is duller. Anyway thanks for the feedback, will take it into account for the next one.

Hopefully have a full song up soon,

Max

Enander, unfortunately I don't know how to really describe what I'm doing so I can't really be of much help there, it feels sort of like I'm pulling the sound back from the front of my mouth to the roof of my mouth at the back, but I have no idea how to explain correctly what I'm doing, it's all just intuitive and trial and error. I agree with your comments about flight of icarus, the higher notes could do with some thickening up. I think that there is a lot of over singing going on here as well, usually I can get really thick mid high notes, need to tweak how I record i think. Your voice is insane, you don't need any distortion advice from me, and it's clear that we both add distortion in a different way to one another, your voice has much more of an edge than mine, mine is duller. Anyway thanks for the feedback, will take it into account for the next one.

I understand what you mean, and I had a feeling it was that way. Quite funny how I do the exact opposite; bringing it forward like a whiplash. Haha! I badly need to practice your way though!

Yeah, it's really hard to record your voice in a just way.

Thanks for the compliment, and I'm glad if you've found something constructive in my words.

I'll keep my eye out for your work :)

See, your distortion is a lot crisper and sharper than mine, your way is probably better. Been listening to some of your stuff, you have a great voice.

Max

See, your distortion is a lot crisper and sharper than mine, your way is probably better. Been listening to some of your stuff, you have a great voice.

Max

I envy your way. Haha! It's much more "alive" than my voice.

That operatic thing you got going on, and of course your "A"-sound, makes me green with envy. That is SO Bruce Dickinson!

First off let me say, props to Max for obvious reasons. This is a great recording :) Excellent job man!

Now for the downside. At least in my opinion. I have seen this happen in a quite a few threads and it always baffles me. It has become kind of a pet peeve and I don't quite understand it. Why do people use someone else's thread to post there own song? I have seen quite a few instances where someone posts a song recording only to have someone else post here own version for comparison. C'mon now...this is their thread and it isn't about comparisons. I can't help thinking that when someone does that it is only to bring attention to there own singing.

Give it a break man....start your own thread. Or if you have posted the song before and are feeling like you haven't got your share of attention then re post it. Don't use someone else's thread. Have some class man!!!

Max, I envy your really gritty "A"-sounds; like "As the sun [...]" and "shAtters"!

I'm having minor troubles with it myself, and I'd be happy if you'll write a sentence or two of how you do it.

All in all, Flight of Icarus was greatly (!) done, and therefore I shall be rather tough on you.

1. "And a young boy appears" has a wonderfully thick, almost operatic, timbre. It's way too good not to adopt that particular timbre unto every lower note. The earlier counterpart "Above the ground" does not have it, and it lacks the magic you conjure later on.

2. Your performance is kind of heavy/deep/dark, which is a pretty cocky (but I like it that way) thing to do when it involves higher notes because, in contrast to your lower voice, the higher notes ("gaze" and "in the name of God, my Father, I fly") sound bright/thin, which in turn detracts us from the illusion of one, vast voice.

I'm in no way pushing for a radical change, because that would be too much. Just slightly more grit would do it.

I've been there, and it's so easy to add grit the wrong way.

One way to do it is to sing the relevant phrase as you usually do it, so you'll get the correct "settings" in your pipes, switch from the head voice mindset to a more chesty mindset, and do it again "from below".

It's not easy, but once you get the hang of it; the vocal connectivity (while singing in a heavy/dark manner) is solid as a rock.

To perhaps add some sense of credibility (or make the lack thereof apparent), this is me singing kind of heavy/dark with quite high notes on a bad day:

https://www.box.com/s/5e63d756b7895c7b11e9

Great post, Enander. I think you are spot on. When i listen to this fantastic tune i feel like i listen to two singers, namely Dickinson and Dio singing a duett. Sometimes a very dark timbre a´la Dio and sometimes a slightly brighter timbre a´la Dickinson. You wobble a little at some spots but all in all - fabolous singing, i love your grit.

Thank you tommy and olem. Enaander your version is cool, your voice is much more evil sounding than mine. Olem, yeah, I feel like at the moment because I don't peactice enough my voice has not really settled into a groove that is consistent. Like I said, I'm over singing massively on this recording because I had my recording set up in such a way that I couldn't hear myself as well as i needed to, which I think I've fixed now. No excuses though, I fully intend to get better and work on beefing up my voice throughout my range. I think that in the past I had always just assumed my natural voice liked to be quite high, but I'm finding recently that actually it works better in a more medium range. Anyway this week my goal is to put some proper time into recording a full song as well as I can, thinking about infinite dreams.

Max

Thank you tommy and olem. Enaander your version is cool, your voice is much more evil sounding than mine. Olem, yeah, I feel like at the moment because I don't peactice enough my voice has not really settled into a groove that is consistent. Like I said, I'm over singing massively on this recording because I had my recording set up in such a way that I couldn't hear myself as well as i needed to, which I think I've fixed now. No excuses though, I fully intend to get better and work on beefing up my voice throughout my range. I think that in the past I had always just assumed my natural voice liked to be quite high, but I'm finding recently that actually it works better in a more medium range. Anyway this week my goal is to put some proper time into recording a full song as well as I can, thinking about infinite dreams.

Max

I don't really agree with your assessment regarding over singing. I mean, I can see where you're coming from, but within this genre there is no such thing as over singing. Haha! ...but who am I to talk? :)

Anyway, I like your spirit; you deserve this boost!

Looking forward to hear more from you. I promise to step back. Haha! :)

Kudos to Tommy for speaking my mind. The only time recently when I posted something of mine in someone else's thread was after two invitations from the author of the thread to do so.

Max, if you're going to go pro, do it now. It will be tougher 20-something years from now when you are getting wrinkles and gray hair.

Or am I bemoaning my own "Wasted Years"? Which is another song I think you should do.

I guess it doesn't matter. You will do what you need to do when it is your time to do it.

Sing that track ^ be very keen to hear your voice do it.

Very Brucey/Dio. Nice, man!

Keep on it and record some originals! Also, try to automate your delay more so it's not there all the time at that level. :)

Enander, your grit is insane, man!

Thanks, Dougie, I appreciate the compliment, but this thread is not about me.

Max, I'm so sorry. I did not intend in any way to "show off" or for this to take this turn of event.

First one was about providing some weight to my words of advice. Second one was just a fun thing between you and me because I felt you were sort of like me, but it was naive of me to see it that way.

I've learned my lesson and again apologise for doing so on your expense.

I know it's not your thread but I let Maxy know he was ripping it too.

Doesn't matter if people post on other people too if it's done in a friendly and unpompous manner, I am sure he will not be offended. This is a community of contributions. I guess it could come off rude though.

Thanks again for the comments guys. Enander, don't worry about it, I love the fact that you recorded your own version for us to hear,this forum is all about the singing and hearing each other is essential if we are going to comment on each others stuff, we are all trying to get better and a good dose of enthusiasm and excitement is a great thing. you have a great voice, your high notes are insane, I wish I could do that. It's interesting to hear how different voices can be with the same material. When I said over singing what i meant was that I was pushing to hard, singing to loudly, in order to try and compensate for the fact that my monitoring was rubbish.

Having said that I understand the other point of view expressed by Tommy and Ronws and I think that in some situations there are people who hijack for their own gratification and they were right to comment on it if they felt that was the case here.

So, no one worry about it, nothing to forgive.

Dougie, I love that song, I will definitely do it, nice suggestion.

Also Enander I want to hear you do the end of flight of icarus with the scream.