TVS Student - Johana Storz - The Cure, "Love Song"

Rate this topic

Robert Lunte

• Administrator

Enjoy... noticed the modified "oo"s on the lyric 'you'... in this case, it is used a few times to reduce constriction on the higher notes, however, in the lower notes... the modification serves as a stylistic touch. Sometimes singing the speech mode closed vowels just still sounds like, speech mode vowels... a touch of modification can make closed vowels sound a bit more 'bluesy' and helps you to dampen the larynx. Enjoy!

This recording was one live take, straight to garageband, through a Mackie 820i firewire board. The easiest, simplest system you could set up for 'home' recording... but I am totally impressed. This sounds killer... Garageband has great presets and templates... if you can get a great live take, the necessity to spend great gobs of money on a big studio becomes very questionable if your making demos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLQUPxRl2g

A resounding Bravo!

Sidenote: absolutely beautiful and appropriate arrangement for the bed track. No stupid karaoke background vocals on the wrong vowel to throw in dissonance.

Perfect singing, of course. Job well done, for teacher and singer.

I have always liked this song and it is one of my favorites from the Cure. I was watching "pop-up video." For a trivia geek like me, perfect. They were showing the video of this song. One of the notes is that Robert Smith wrote this song as an ode to his wife for their wedding day reception.

How romantic is that?

I like her voice and the crispness of the mic. It looked like a Rode.

And maybe it's just me but there seemed a slight reggae influence on the drums and meter. Whatever it was, it was great. And she was locked into the rhythm.

Again, bravo.

• Administrator

Agreed, I think it came off well... I think its just a karaoke track? Some of these karaoke tracks are pretty darn good... I just purchased "Victim of Changes" from JP from these guys www.karaoke-version.com. They also have a "child in time" that sounds good...

This mic is an AKG D7... of all the dynamic mics I use for these live recordings, it is one of them that sounds good for recordings... Now that I have my live recording set up dialed in,,, Im going to let rip some new "Rob" stuff that sounds kick ass, or die trying... sounds great when the right efx, levels and compression are set-up.