A sample video of the recording session of a song

Rate this topic

Felipe Carvalho

Hey guys, I was studying this song, Harder to Breath - Maroon 5, as it has a few elements that were quite hard for me a few weeks ago, and decided to capture the video of the final "performance ready" state.

The video was done with my o-powerfull android phone. Uploaded both versions, one with the original audio, and one with audio of my also tech leading sm57. The original audio is not altered, no eq, compressors or whatever. The washed up reverb is the one of the room Im in, not what most engineers would consider optimal I guess :P

I hope this sheds some light on the recent discussions on how the "room" sound, or the "phone" sound, or whatever affect the quality. If anything, the sm57 makes errors easier to spot.

On few spots I gestured on some key things related to technique on the interpretation line. Support, horizontal openning and head voice specifically.

Anyways, hope its usefull, I had fun doing this :)

Mic audio

Original audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1GFp3kqgKA&feature=plcp

Hey Felipe I really liked what you did here. The interesting thing is whenever you hear someone else sing someones popular song you really hear the "position changes" in the voice. When Adam sang this he sang it 100 times on most likely a 5000 dollar mic and a 5000 dollar pre and a 5000 dollar compressor and so on and so forth. So the producers job is to make sure it is all placed in the same pocket. So they sing it 100 times each three words.

now when you or anyone else goes to recreate it, it is very hard to keep all in the same position meaning when You sing it you hear the bass and depth on the low notes and they highs and tightness of the high notes, When Adam sings its all positioned in the same pocket. I have always liked going to youtube and hearing other people sing the song I am learning to give me a real playing field of what i'm going to sound like. My point is that you nailed the song singing it right through not cutting and pasting like most people do. And also it gives you a place to learn from...It's one thing to sing all the notes its another thing to place them in the pocket all the way through.:D:D:D:D Bravo!!!!

Great job on that. You've got the phrasing and the rhythm down really well on that song. It really shows the difference when using a good mic. The sound from the android is giving quite a difference by allowing all the room reflections in. The sm57 is a great mic for stage - and recording.

I'm a bit behind in knowledge of all this :) But I look at it in a simplified version. It's about recording vs singing. Some people sing well but will be judged not on their singing but rather their recording skills. So someone said a dead room and closer mic will highlight the bad. Well, then again, maybe it also amplifies the bad. Or maybe makes the not so bad, worse.

So if I were critiquing both recordings I would be critiquing the first one on vocals which were great (nice job once again Felipe). And the second on recording. I would say, "the singing sounded good but the recording was poor and there was too much echo. So once again "for me" it becomes recorded vs live. One real one not so much. I prefer live. Or "true."

I give props (and a rep point) to Felipe for providing this. That was fantastic and took some work I think. It was educational and the hand gestures hit the mark.

Tnx guys, its nice that it serves some purpose :).

The main reason why I did this, is because it is a very strange thing to have such mentality of blamming equipment for problems on a technical forum.

Although its clear that if it wasnt for that crappy camera, I would look much better on the image :P. Just a joke, but its the same ;), sound is not magic.

Felipe, it sounded great. I agree, your voice works very well with the song.

I didn't know you were a University of Texas fan!! Hook 'em, Horns!!!!!

(The sign you flashed at the start and at other times is the same sign that University uses during American Football games) Since you're from Brasil, I didn't know if you'd catch the reference. Btw, I visited Recife and Rio de Janiero many years ago during your winter during a 6 month cruise around S. America. Had a great time everywhere we went.

I believe Felipe was giving devil horns and may not have realized that it is also the handsign of the Uni. of Texas Longhorns. By the way, I was going to UT at Arlington in 1982. But I let it slide.

But that's a nice canard to start on him, Bob. Now, we need to scrounge up some money to get him a Longhorn sweater, though S.A. is about in their spring time, heading to summer. So, he would have to wait until about June or so to start wearing it.

That gives us some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey just saw those replies sorry for taking so long!

Owen yes, that was my point back then, its not the poor phones fault ;)

Daniel, lets keep this thread from utter deletion if possible hahah

naccoach and rowns haha yeah. rowns is right. as cool as American Football is, its a reference to Dio. I grew up listenning to the old man :)

Thank you all for the words.

Just to clarify, the Dio horns you were throwing is the same sign that fans of the University of Texas Longhorns throw and the sign is called "Hook'em Horns."

Our biggest rivals are Texas A & M (agricultural and mechanical) University Aggies and the Oklahoma University Sooners. Every October, the big match between Longhorns and Sooners is played that the Cotton Bowl, a football stadium at Dallas Fair Park and it happens while the State Fair of Texas is happening at the Fair Park. It's a madhouse.

ronws very cool :D

I only wish sports were taken so seriously around here... Besides soccer, and only in the high professional level, its all very overlooked, and with almost no support... This kind of prestige for universitarian athletes is one of the coolest things you guys have.

Very true, Felipe. Here in America, especially in the more rural areas, as well as most colleges, sports is very important. Little towns in Texas live for football. Seriously. Almost an entire little town will caravan to another town if their team is playing an "away" game.

In college, alumni contributions to the campus increase in winning seasons. And a number of pro ball players were drafted in their senior year, with their contract starting upon graduation from college.

The smart ones, like Roger Staubach, studied. And he was already starting his real estate business before he retired from football. Troy Aikman opened a string of car dealerships. Emmett Smith started phone and pager companies while he was still playing for the Cowboys and living in Addison (I worked on his house and I have met him 5 times.)