Beginner Stamina Question

Rate this topic

rapidcif

Hey i'm new to these forums and just want to ask a question regarding a vocal condition pertaining to me. Some details about me are that i've only been singing for a year, so i'm kind of a beginner.

Whenever i practice, i am careful not to strain my throat and when my throat area starts hurting during practice, i am always vigilant on toning it down, or stopping completely. But even so, my vocal cords see to take an abnormally long time to heal. Well i don't know for sure what's a "normal" time, but most of my friends can sing every day. However for me, sometimes it takes up to 4-5 to gain my strength back, but the thing is, when it does come back my vocals are better than ever, it's just that my intervals between practices are i feel, too long. Also when i actually am practicing with full vitality in my vocal chords, in 20 minutes i can already feel them giving out, such as not being to reach high notes as easily and such. I've come to recognize this as a stamina problem, and am wondering if this occurs often with "beginnerish" singers or could i possibly be doing something wrong? Another detail that i don't know if it really makes a difference or not is that i'm shy and don't talk alot, so could that possibly contribute to "weaker" cords at all?

So i was just wondering if anyone has any wisdom regarding this matter - thanks alot in advance, and i look forward to making this forum my new home for my singing endeavors.

There must something else going on..I understand being a little shot from practice or trying some new screams, but 20 min singing that seems like you must be doing something wrong.When I first started I would blow out my voice 1-2 times a week but it came back pretty quickly 2 days rest. As time went on It got stronger like you said but I could sing for longer. Also when I did blow it out I was singing 3 hours a night. I think you should post a clip of you singing so we could hear what you are doing to correct it.

welcome to tmv

Its about metering your workouts. As izzle explained to us, the muscles for singing are very small and the rebuilding process is quicker than for example weightlifting where you'd typically want to give yourself 72 hours of rest. The muscles in the voice should be able to bounce back the next day. However, I can push myself sometimes where it may take a couple days before they are at full strength again. But that is a result of how much I stressed the muscles. I watch this sort of thing very closely.

If you aren't able to bounce back the next day under a normal workout that means your normal workout is too much. And it could be that you are introducing too much tension. You've got to experiment. I'd try cutting your workout in half, and then try the next day. If that's too much, dial it down even further. After you've found the optimum workout size, you can slowly build this up.

The other thing is to take frequent breaks. Instead of 20 minutes straight through, do 5 min, rest 20, do another 5, and so on.

And lastly, as Bob inquired about, let your abs take the brunt of the workout - not your larynx. Make sure you know how to support and properly breath.