James Taylor Cover - Beginner

Rate this topic

I sent this to Rob for ideas of where to get started, but I was curious about other's opinions.

More specifically in terms of "this is ok but you need to work on xxxxx."

Obviously the only time I tried to go into head voice it failed here but I wanted a straight uncut take to be honest about where I'm at, and maybe compare in a few months to see if anything is getting better.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11898340

You know what? If we skip any technical issues, that was really nice. :) I think that once you iron a few things out you will be a fine singer with an interesting tone. I can't wait to hear you a year from now! My main issues were the pronunciation of some words. I didn't like "rememba" at the beginning rather than remember. Other words toward the end seem floated and not clearly enunciated. The other issue for me was inconsistency. The song wobbled here and there and wasn't consistent in level and notes. If that makes any sense at all to you :)

But nice tone for my taste. I wonder how it would sound raised in pitch a bit.

Tommy, thanks for the listen. The articulation issue makes sense I can start working on that I think fairly easily.

The consistency is harder to know exactly. I know I was a bit flat in places, and I lost a little resonance in places. Is that what you're talking about? Tone is what I want to work on most.

Incidently, Rob got back to me in less than 24 hours which is very nice. He also mentioned articulation and had some tone ideas.

The consistency is harder to know exactly. I know I was a bit flat in places, and I lost a little resonance in places. Is that what you're talking about? Tone is what I want to work on most.

No, not pitch or being flat or sharp. I mean consistency as far as lows and highs and the melody line. Some parts are strong while others not so much or at times weak. This gives the melody line a wobble so to speak. Kind of hard to put into text.

Once again, nice job though. I like your voice and that is a great song. I think with some tweaking you can do it really well. :)

Tommy, what do you mean when you say a word is "floated." I listened back and could hear inconsistency in resonance and support, and that is something I will work on along with articulation for awhile. But I've heard other people use the term "float" and I'm not sure quite what that is.

Negoba,

I can't remember the exact words or part of the song at the moment and I'm at work and can't listen at this time to give a specific. But in general what I meant by floating was where the onset of certain words was muted or not there. Or where the end of the word sort of just faded off (floated) rather than a defined ending and not for stylistic reasons but just letting the note fade. Some words, imo, need a more defined onset and others just need a clearer pronunciation without floating through the word. Define the note? I don't know how to word it. I think somewhere around 2:35 (I can't get a clear sound at work on this computer) "Sunny days I thought "would" never end. I think you floated by the "W" on would. Like I said...can't be sure here at work. I think it was the last 1/4 of the song that sort of got a little bit like words were cut or running into each other...or softened a bit. For me...and keep in mind this is "for me" and possibly meaningless for anyone else. I can't get the oo sound on "would" to sound peoperly (for a solid note) without that "W." Like getting a running start!

I hope that makes at least some sense. Then again I sometimes have my own way of singing...lol.

Thanks MDEW, sometimes it's good to get some encouragement that putting in the work will eventually be worth it.

Tommy, thanks for pointing that out, because I didn't even notice that on listen back. Wow, it's almost gone!

Listening back on this even after a few days of practicing on the points made, I can hear the issues now alot better. I don't know that I could fix all those things quite yet but I know better what I need to work on.

Cheers and have a great weekend.