Lip Rolls Question

Rate this topic

Willise

Hi there,

I'm wondering if I am doing these lip rolls correctly? Does the vowel sound change from the "uh" at the lower end to a "oo" sound as you increase? Are they beneficial in range expansion or just good for a warmup? I just recently began doing them and I find they help loosen up my throat, but if they also help with range, I'll work them even more.

Here is a clip of my lip roll

https://www.box.com/s/ytrv4rj0iz42es17ppn0

Thanks!

lip rolls are not just good for range extension and as a warmup, they serve as a barometer of your vocal efficiency as well.

the consistency of the bubbles, the lack of tightness in the bubbles, and no breaks or disconnects in the bubbles are indicative of your ability to manage your air.

it is an exercise of balance of air pressure both below and above the vocal folds.

anyone else want to add?

....i probably missed something...i didn't sleep too well last night...lol!!!!

the consistency of the bubbles, the lack of tightness in the bubbles, and no breaks or disconnects in the bubbles are indicative of your ability to manage your air.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm curious if the part of your reply above was in relation to my audio clip or just a general statement about lip rolls?

If I am doing them correctly, that would be great! They don't sound tight to me, but I think I do force them just a little as I increase in range. The other thing I've noticed is that I cannot get to a G4 doing lip rolls, but I can doing sirens. Is this normal?

Thanks again!!

you were a little tight, yes.

you are a beginner?

don't go for a siren right off the bat. start with one nice even note. then after that's nice and fluid, try a descending slide.

i would work on the consistency first. relax........take a nice low breath.....don't push....try to keep the larynx from rising.....use only as much air to flutter the lips consistently with no air breaks....one nice even stream of air.

They are pretty tight and that can be hard to get rid of. Without the right balance of breath, which I have just really learned, it is very difficult to do them this relaxed and not punch at the start. This is a great video, done by a member of this forum.

This biggest thing that helped me was to do the lip rolls without and sound. Just keep the bubbles at a consistently slow pace and that add in a tone later without feeling any difference.