How's my Technique?

Rate this topic

JosephJames

You sound great. Good singer/songwriter stuff. I wouldnt worry about technique much, just write and record and get out and sing live. Technique is not gonna make you a pop star, songs are.. Worry about technique when you feel there is something you want to do but can't. But from what I listened to of your stuff you will get better as you sing more..

great job

You sound great. Good singer/songwriter stuff. I wouldnt worry about technique much, just write and record and get out and sing live. Technique is not gonna make you a pop star, songs are.. Worry about technique when you feel there is something you want to do but can't. But from what I listened to of your stuff you will get better as you sing more..

great job

Thank you! I think I'm still going to work on technique right now. No offense though, I just want to change up my songs a little. Thank you so much!

As Daniel said, you've got enough to go on, and you are likely to make improvements by simply singing more. However if you want to short circut the development and make improvements to your technique now, that's great.

Here's my short eval: You've got a good sense of phrasing and rhythmical timing. And its obvious you know what kind of style you're after. Those are all part of technique - and artistry. You've got those things down. What you're lacking is a good support and connection to your support. You're likely carrying unwanted tension. And your not singing in the "center" of the modes. If you fix those things you'll gain power and control. This will give you more options. Currently you are pretty breathy, which if not done correctly, can actually be unhealthy.

In summary - yes you sing good. However, there are many things you can do to improve.

As Daniel said, you've got enough to go on, and you are likely to make improvements by simply singing more. However if you want to short circut the development and make improvements to your technique now, that's great.

Here's my short eval: You've got a good sense of phrasing and rhythmical timing. And its obvious you know what kind of style you're after. Those are all part of technique - and artistry. You've got those things down. What you're lacking is a good support and connection to your support. You're likely carrying unwanted tension. And your not singing in the "center" of the modes. If you fix those things you'll gain power and control. This will give you more options. Currently you are pretty breathy, which if not done correctly, can actually be unhealthy.

In summary - yes you sing good. However, there are many things you can do to improve.

Thank you for your comment Geno. Yeah I think your right about those things, How do I get rid of the breathy-ness? Thank you a ton, and I really like your music! I'll spread your music as much as I can bro. The world deserves to hear it.

Joseph - Thanks for the positive comments - glad you like my stuff. About the breathyness - that seems to suit your style, so I wouldn't want to discourage it. CVT has done some great research about doing it safely with their "neutral with air" mode. You could invest in the CVT book - it is great and can help to make sure you go about it safely.

And if you do want to develop more of a centered full voice or want to start really developing your technique, I'd get someone's program and start a practice regimine. Or take a skype lesson with a teacher. There are plenty of teachers right here on the forum. The video program I used was KTVA. Lunte's program seems really good too. There are some good videos on youtube, like Seth Riggs lessons, or Tony O'Hora Vocal Power - http://www.vocalpower.co.uk/page4/Singing%20Videos.html

The road to vocal improvement involves discipline and time. If you practice the right things you can make improvements quickly. If not, you can spin your wheels for a while. But again, technique is not the end all be all. It's all about your personal goals as an artist.

The other thing to consider is upgrading your recording environment and mixing skills. You've got some nice material on soundcloud. However, the mix is not in your favor as voice is too light in comparison to the guitar. With some simple equipment and software you could make drastic improvements to your productions. In the old days, the quality of the demo didn't matter - talent scouts could tell if you had talent no matter what the quality . These days, demos are much more polished. Current technology enables guys like you and me to make great sounding demos in our homes. We may as well take advantage of it. That's my philosophy anyway.