Developing A Healthy Vibrato

Rate this topic

Hey all, recently I have been hearing the natural vibrato in my voice and trying to bring it out more. What exercises and mindsets have been effective for you when developing a healthy "vibrant" vibrato. Should I focus on the breath or the pitch?

It feels like trying to oscilate the pitches by using force often ends up with poor results! The funny thing is when I'm in the most emotional parts of a song my vibrato naturally occurs as if it wants to join the party lol :D

Hope someone can help!

- JayMC

When I started I didn't have any vibrato at all.

I tried to sound like my fav singer (singing some real easy songs, trying to imitate vibrato). For a good while I couldn't get much to happen, but after a bit I noticed I was getting 2 or 3 successful bounces. I just kept on trying to do it and some day I noticed I got more bounces in, and then it was like a snowball rolling down a hill, it just kept on getting bigger and then I could sustain vibrato as long as I wanted.

Focus on the pitch, just keep singing easy songs where you let that vibrato sneak in, sooner or later you'll get to a tipping point where it just gets easier.