Anyone doing NG-sirens?

Rate this topic

Sun

I'm practising trying to siren through the passaggio with the NG sound.

I can sing high full notes but they are not balanced (to much press) and while I've been making some progress with the NG siren it's very difficult. To be clear it's just ascending with the ng sound in a full voice not very loudly and not a pure head voice or falsetto (which anyone can do). Say you do this up to A4 and release into a vowel, it should be full voice not head voice/falsetto.

When I sing into the head range I have to overcompress to get through, even though it may sound really good at first my voice quickly tires so I got this exercises to balance out the voice production.

Is there anybody who had similar issues with it or who can successfully do it and give some tips?

The NG voice builds pharnygeal and is very useful but if one has not developed the head voice/chest voice to such that they can function alone then the pharnygeal is useless. In the upper register try singing Ng-ooooooou and Ng-eeee. In the lower register try Ng-aaaaah an NgOOOOOH. You will FEEL the resonance radiating simply because of the vowel used, learning to control that feeling is what you want in either register on ANY vowel.

I'm practising trying to siren through the passaggio with the NG sound.

I can sing high full notes but they are not balanced (to much press) and while I've been making some progress with the NG siren it's very difficult. To be clear it's just ascending with the ng sound in a full voice not very loudly and not a pure head voice or falsetto (which anyone can do). Say you do this up to A4 and release into a vowel, it should be full voice not head voice/falsetto.

When I sing into the head range I have to overcompress to get through, even though it may sound really good at first my voice quickly tires so I got this exercises to balance out the voice production.

Is there anybody who had similar issues with it or who can successfully do it and give some tips?

I bolded few things that jumped out at me. While you DO need to keep the air flow in check and not lose closure, the ng is there to assist you(so you don't have to over-press the folds) as you navigate the "gear changes" and thin out... You should be striving for a RELEASED sensation.

One trick that has helped me(I'm a heavy singer...so I have to constantly watch myself) is to THINK "sigh" at the very first sign of tension. It is virtually impossible for me to hold tension when I "sigh" so if I take that feeling of release and apply it to tense spots...it works wonders. Of course, the application isn't always that simple :)

Also, as mentioned, a clip would help. And certainly, working with a teacher would be better!