Should I give up on singing ?

Rate this topic

luchador

Hey people. I just would like to hear your opinions about something I have sang. I love singing , and I was thinkikg of taking private classes , but I don't know If I can improve. I am BAD..I know that very well , but is there any hope to get better ? Sorry for bad english ... Greetings.

Here's the link :

http://tindeck.com/listen/tnav

Take the lessons. You already have a good voice. You are off pitch a few times, on pitch other times. Part of the problem is that you are singing along with the full song which is an octave higher than where you are, now, and it's throwing you off the mark, partially because you are listening to that vocal instead of yourself and the instruments. Find a karoake version without the vocals in it.

I am going to arbitrarily state that a large number of good singers started out pitchy and not at all sure of themselves.

If you had never played tennis before and ran on to the court and tried to play a game and had, literally, hit-and-miss results, would you assume that you should give up tennis because you didn't start out as good as a player who has been coached and trained for 10 years? Or, would you drop the ego of being a "natural" and simply get down to work on improving your game?

And no, it will not take you ten years to be a good singer. It's a journey, not a destination. I have been singing a long time and I think I still see improvement in myself, as of late.

So, yeah, just because you don't start out sounding like Sinead O'Connor with the production of Prince and his studio doesn't mean you can't sing well.

Now, for tough love. Quit feeling sorry for yourself. Get some lessons, go to work. You already have a good voice. Learn to use it.

I'm going to tell you something that may, in fact, blow your mind. Singing is a learned skill just like everything else. It takes training and it takes practice.

You don't sit down at the piano for the first time and try to play a piece and then go "man I really love to play the piano. But because I didn't play all the notes right on my first try, instead of getting a taking lessons and practicing a lot, maybe I should just quit".

The only reason you're even considering that with singing, is because you have been fed the same bullshit that a lot of us have at one point or another: The idea that singing is mostly about natural talent, and if you can't match pitch perfectly your first time, you're "tone deaf".

True tone deafness means you can't hear any differences in pitch. If you listen to a song and it doesn't all sound like the same note over and over again, you're not tone deaf. The problem is that you're doing something with your larynx that is making it not produce the pitch that you want it to. This is fixable and a good voice teacher can help you make that happen.

Ok, it isn't a polished vocal performance for sure. But you are on pitch most of the time, and your rhythmical phrasing is good, and you seem to be adducting pretty well. You just need more control over your tone. Everybody is born with the same equipment. Depending on your goals and your motivation to focus, you can make huge improvements if you want. It takes a lot of hard work and time. The best is to get a teacher, or take skype lessons. That will be the most efficient way to make improvements.

The first time I played it guitar, it was my grandparents' old classical guitar. I pulled it out of a closet. It only had 3 strings. I could pluck the arpeggio to "Who'll Stop the Rain?" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. That would have been a perfect time to give up. I guess I'm not smart enough to give up.

we all have different voices, our voices are our identities, its what we are, everyone has his own style like everyone has its own voice, so, everyone can sing with their voices the style that makes them unique, but it sure takes a lot of hard work and determination, I, like you was thinking that I couldn't sing, that I wasn't made for that, but I started to improve, slowly, I started to see some changes, I'm far from being their yet, but now I know that I can do it if I work for it, just like everyone on this planet !

People :) Thanks on GREAT advices. I really appreciate your help. I really enjoy singing , and I wanted to start with some lessions ,but before that I wanted to hear other opinions.I must say that I was in doubt about "musical ear " and chances of improving . I always thought that singing is natural talent . But as you people said , a lot of singers started from zero.I am really ready to improve and I will give my best to express myself through my voice.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Good luck, Luch. And believe in yourself. We believe in you.

Yeah, it's going to be plenty of work. A step or two forward. Then plateau, Stick with it.

Like I said, none of us feels like we're finished, or complete. And famous singers feel the same way. A lot of them have "issues" with their own voice.

Just keep working at what you can do.