mr-leonor99's technique thread

Rate this topic

mr-leonor99

hi guys, I've made this thread so I can ask you questions that will allow me to improve my technique till I get a perfect one lol

now I'm on the first step : finding support and controlling my breath, I've been searching for too long for a way to get suport, but I just don't find it, cause I don't know what it is, many of you will tell me to get a teacher, I can't, I tried many teachers, but It really didn't help me, they give me nothing, all they care about is money

here is a video when I explain my problems(sorry for the very bad english I'm living in morrocco, I don't talk english every day lol) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTACz7eyC3g

when I want to hit a high note, I use compression in my throat, and thin my abs and back muscles, and try to keep my larynx down, is this compression that I use in my throat good for singing ? here is a video where I show it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQR5Quja_Fg

thanks for the help :)

One minute of SSSSing is pretty ridiculous, given the world record for a note is already slightly under a minute. I've never had to do breath exercises to that degree. As far as I can tell, breath and support exercises are for warming up the resonators mainly for classical/contemporary singing styles.

What I heard in your second video is good and bad. The good part is that you relaxed as you went past your break and into your higher notes. The bad part is that you had too much pressure before the break in your chest voice, which is what made that break in the first place. Between f4/g4 was the spot. Not everyone can safely execute compression and not screw up their bridges.

To fix this, first keep your voice relaxed in the lower notes. As your voice rises, you need to keep your throat in the relaxed position and feeling, but you have to also let the pressure build for the higher notes. It's much easier said than done, so hopefully someone else will have good advice. But, in my opinion, it's 1000 times easier to keep your voice relaxed, rather than attack everything with too much pressure.

thank you very much !

ok now I understand, why don't they just call it breathing from the belly ? did they have to say "diaphragmatique breathing" ? gosh !

so this is how to beath correctly, but isn't this an incorrect support ? because this is how the CVT book describes an incorrect support :

You must be careful not to support incorrectly.

This can be known as the 'lavatory support',

meaning that while the bulge at the solar plexus is

distended the abdomen is also pressed outwards

- as if you are going to the lavatory. If this happens

there will be a strong pressure on your abdomen

and bowels which can trigger constriction in the

throat (try to imitate going to the lavatory and feel

the constrictions when you push out your

abdomen). If this happens while you are singing it

could harm your voice. In general, you must avoid

pressing down on the abdomen. In women, pro¬

longed increases in abdominal pressure can lead

to a prolapse of the uterus. Many wind instrument

players have developed

hernias by pressing hard

on the abdomen whilst

trying to support. In gen¬

eral, no pressure should

be present in the

abdominal cavity.

and for the lip thrills, if I make it without the voice, but I release to much air, can't I make it with my voice ?

thanks again

One minute of SSSSing is pretty ridiculous, given the world record for a note is already slightly under a minute. I've never had to do breath exercises to that degree. As far as I can tell, breath and support exercises are for warming up the resonators mainly for classical/contemporary singing styles.

What I heard in your second video is good and bad. The good part is that you relaxed as you went past your break and into your higher notes. The bad part is that you had too much pressure before the break in your chest voice, which is what made that break in the first place. Between f4/g4 was the spot. Not everyone can safely execute compression and not screw up their bridges.

To fix this, first keep your voice relaxed in the lower notes. As your voice rises, you need to keep your throat in the relaxed position and feeling, but you have to also let the pressure build for the higher notes. It's much easier said than done, so hopefully someone else will have good advice. But, in my opinion, it's 1000 times easier to keep your voice relaxed, rather than attack everything with too much pressure.

yes you're right, at the begining, my larynx was to high, so to avoid the crack I lowered it, its been just a week since I've discovered that trick lol

Support support support. It seems this is always a heavy topic and most confusing to every new vocalist. There are so many examples, explanations and analogies that it can drive you insane. I often point to martial arts just in case the person asking about support happens to also be a martial artist. This is because this type of breathing is familiar to them and especially so if they are familiar with Sanchin kata.

There have been so many breathing examples posted I really hesitate to confuse the issue any further. But...:D

If I could do away with the exercise examples and analogies saying it is like this or feels like that maybe you could try something. It isn't a fix or a method or exercise. Only a way that maybe just "maybe" you can feel what support feels like.

If you purse your lips like you are going to whistle and just blow a small steady stream of air. Take a deep breath expanding the diaphragm. Don't worry about abs in or out, they should expand naturally. Just worry about not breathing with the chest. That only fills the top of your lungs. Breath deep down imagining the breath reaching just above your naval. Like they do in meditation. (look it up, it may help). Forget the belly and focus on the breath, full and deep. If you put your hand on your belly though, you should feel it rise on the inhale and then sink on exhale. Now, breath deep then blow out through pursed lips. Now keep doing it but each tome purse the lips more so less air escapes and pressure builds. Blow a nice steady and pretty forceful breath. Inhale for about four seconds and exhale for about eight. The tighter you purse the lips and the less air escapes the more pressure you should feel in your lower trunk. Feel the expansion of the ribs and how the abs don't immediately sink but stay somewhat expanded due to the air having to be forced out? After some reps of this and increasing the tightness of air escape thru the lips, suddenly close the hole tight and stop the air suddenly while still retaining pressure. You should feel almost a sudden jolt in the abs and a shut off of everything. Feel that slight tension below? The expansion of the ribs and lower abs etc? That is the support mechanism. Don't let that go...hold it. Now immediately open the mouth and slowly let air out with your mouth open as if you were singing "ah." Just enough to get two fingers in there. Let air out slowly but never release the feeling below as if your lips were still pursed. See how long you can make that air last while still staying supported, expanded below. That is support only a bit exaggerated. Once you learn it well you can control it. I generally don't feel "pressure" unless it's a particularly high or difficult or tricky note. Let the throat open.

Ok....so now you have more confusion :D

Don't worry, Leo. I was recently corrected in the chicken or the egg when it comes to diaphragm versus abs. But I still think of breathing with the abs when I sing. It might be the "wrong" imagery but it's working for me. And it could work for you. Essentially, as long as we're not trying to breathe or sing with movement of the chest, it should be good.

haha, guys look at this clown, and the problem is that he is really thinking that he knows what he is talking about

ok so now I've made an important discovery, that http://picosong.com/wDjF/ is head voice, and I can work on it so it can be like that (6:02) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow4VnbIezF4&feature=relmfu

I discovered that I don't have to do that (3:00)

to hit an A4(pulling the chest voice)

but make this one http://picosong.com/wDjF/ more chesty, I discovered that this is the technique that myles kennedy is using

but the problem is :

how do I get there ? what are the exercices that I should do ?

do I have to master support first ?

am I ready for this ???

guys I've found it I've found it !!! you can't know how I'm happy now !!!!!

http://picosong.com/wDav/

and here I've done a very professional A4 in the mixed voice

http://picosong.com/wDaM/

I just discovered this technique thanks to mister robert lunt's video

what do you think ?