Me singing an Eb5

Rate this topic

Keith

I am wondering if this note is resonating as it should, or do I need to do something else. I know I slid up to it, I was kinda vocally tired when I decided to do it.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11906985&q=hi&newref=1

I listened to that again a few times (because of the falsetto question) and I say no falsetto there. As jonpall said it wasn't breathy. But a couple of points at least for me, that tip me off. The onset was one. I don't know the terms to explain it. Glottal? Like it was closed...the cords I mean. I think falsetto would have started more open and softer. Like with a slight/soft "h" sound. That was a hard "a." I know I have a weird way of explaining things :D The other thing was the resonance I heard. Nice. That sound was all up in there!!! Resonaaaatiiiinggg!

The support sounded good also like the note could go on forever and maybe even get stronger. That was tight...not airy. On an added note...nice vibrato man!

Accounting for cell phone mic, I don't think it was falsetto. It was an incredibly clean head tone.

Dude, Eb5. I knew you could do it. Especially with 4 Pillars.

Now, you have no excuse. You need to do a cover of "Child in Time." Lunte topped his with an E5, I think, half-step below what sounds like a strong note that you just did. That song can be topped by either a C, E, or A, since those are the notes in the Am chord.

So, now, I will wait, as patiently as I can, to hear your version.

guys, are you serious ? do you really think it is not falsetto ?

what do you call this then ? if what he does is head voice (1:12)

I think the difference is really clear

Miles is a tenor, and that makes his high notes brighter than mine are. I am a baritone.. I was actually told by a vocal professor at the college I attend that I should be a bass. I am not saying I think the note I sang was or was not falsetto, however. I posted it because I wanted to hear what other people thought. This is a "note in process" I have not been able to even sing this high until recently, and I am trying to strengthen it, then move to E5. And so on. So, I value your opinion and thank you for giving it! :)

The two examples you posted thus far, imo, are just various examples of either higher or stronger notes, not differences in sound. The sound in Keith's as well as the youtube examples are the same. Just different levels of volume or pitch. Falsetto does utilize air through the open cords. I didn't detect that in Keith's. I don't think you can hold falsetto for too long as you would with closed cords good support and getting the tone up in the head and resonating. Maybe your confusing falsetto, and head voice with a high pitch?

First off, it's not a clear comparison from Myles Kennedy, who sings "Sweet Child of Mine" way more clean and soft than does Axl, on a pro mic and a professional studio mix compared to Keith singing into cell phone mic.

Unless you really want me to bore to sleep with why there are technical limitations to a cell phone. I am easily persuaded, and I will use math and assorted technical terms that might be alien to most here.

But firstly, falsetto is characterized an a large amount of air in the tone.

Granted, Keith's note was not as "twangy" as the clip you linked. But just because it was not twangy or distorted does not mean it was falsetto. What you did for the part of the passage in "Creep" was falsetto. And was distinctly different than the full voice notes in the same part of the range on the next phrase.

And what Keith was doing was full voice. Just really clean. And this would not be the first time someone mistook clean head voice for falsetto.

mr-lenor99: Yes, the difference is clear, but it is a matter of refinement. Keith is just learning how to sing up there, and (as he said in another post) is a baritone, perhaps even a lower voice.

Another thing going for the recorded piece you posted is the distinct twang and really well-chosen vowels for the notes he is using. Keith has not yet done those refinements, but he is certainly on his way toward it.

So... neither singer is using falsetto, but rather high head voice production.

I hope this is helpful to the discussion.

And, Keith... ROCK ON!

I don't know that it's scientifically correct, but I should add this as I read it in another thread here. As you get really good addiction in the head voice and get comfortable up there, then falsetto kinda goes away and gets replaced by a full tone.

I know that if I want to use airy-breathy falsetto I need to think of it and "summon" it if you will, because when I go for that sound, naturally I always get a full connected head tone which doesn't sound all that great if you're just trying to spice up a little ballad or whatever.