What's My Problem Here? I Sound Bad On The Right Notes

Rate this topic

Overdrive

I'm working on a full cover of Green Day's Basket Case. Unfortunately, despite feeling like I can hit the notes I sound quite weird/bad doing it. What am I doing wrong?

It may be worth mentioning this is what feels like "mix voice" for me, which I've only recently gotten started with. Also the pronunciation is sometimes absolutely terrible because I either forget the lyrics or because I can barely hear myself so I don't realize. (I'm singing with the song)

I'm working on a full cover of Green Day's Basket Case. Unfortunately, despite feeling like I can hit the notes I sound quite weird/bad doing it. What am I doing wrong?

It may be worth mentioning this is what feels like "mix voice" for me, which I've only recently gotten started with. Also the pronunciation is sometimes absolutely terrible because I either forget the lyrics or because I can barely hear myself so I don't realize. (I'm singing with the song)

Overdrive: IMO, first thing to stabilize is the intonation. Quite often, notes in a rapid series are sharp or flat... not really centered on the note you want. The way to clean those up is to work individual vowels and notes in the song slowly to be sure that they are spot-on, and then incorporate those into longer groups of notes until you have the phrases reassembled.

I hope this is helpful.

When I'm singing I can't really tell that I'm flat until I record it (and even then I just know it sounds bad, I don't really know if it's sharp or flat usually). Honestly it's really annoying because in my head I sound so good haha I think it's like that for everybody, we sound different than we do in our heads.

Anyway so I how do I make sure that I'm on-pitch? Sing with a tuner? Record a bunch of takes until it sounds right?

I used to intentionally give just a little extra so that it felt sharpish while I sang it and then it would be actually right on playback.

Now that I'm concentrating more on support and resonance, it's correcting itself. I used to think "I friggin know how to breathe, these exercises are useless," but this singing thing really is 80% about breath.

When I'm singing I can't really tell that I'm flat until I record it (and even then I just know it sounds bad, I don't really know if it's sharp or flat usually). Honestly it's really annoying because in my head I sound so good haha I think it's like that for everybody, we sound different than we do in our heads.

Anyway so I how do I make sure that I'm on-pitch? Sing with a tuner? Record a bunch of takes until it sounds right?

Back in the day the great singers did not have freaking microphones or recording equipment. They had to learn to FEEL the voice not hear the voice. Now you have an advantage because you can do both! Listen you yourself... and if you think "oh that sounds horrible" go back and change the FEELINGS that you feel when creating your sound, now record again and try again! Don't give up! There are a million ways to create 1 tone ;) Experiment, have fun, and find your way ;)