Weak, Leaky, Head voice!

Rate this topic

Hey all I can both feel and hear my head voice leak air and disconnect into falsetto. It is such a sensitive thing that I am afraid when I use "staccato" exercises I'm actually hurting my voice.

What exercises (singing & breathing) have really helped your head voice flourish? My chest voice BOOMS yet my head voice is so weak. Please help! lol :D (ps im not afraid to sound like a girl).

I don't know about this "quacky hyper twangy " thing but if you feel disconnected don't do it... Practice like you sing. When a baseball player warms up swinging a bat does he let go of the bat when he swings it? answer the question to yourself :)

I can actually bring the head voice freakishly low and somehwhat high but AFTER a while it BECOMES a falsetto (leaky). So when this happens... I should take a step back? What exercises have helped you normalize the head voice? This is a common issue for males since we barely use head voice. Now that I'm old as hell I realize the head voice is super important since it trains the thin edges of the folds! When I practice head voice the chest mechanism feels free-er. Have any specific breathing/training exercises helped you all when free-ing the head voice? It frustrates me when females can simply tap into this mechanism without breaking a sweat yet males are left in the dust lol :mad:

Ps when going from the top to bottom, I can literally feel the head-voice mechanism EMPOWER my lower voice. That's why I'm really interested in developing this part of my voice, I want that empowerment lols =)

& thank you for the tip Daniel I am going to remind myself "practice like you sing" every time I do either!

If you want to strengthen your falsetto/head voice practice separating the registers before you combine them.

Practice pure falsetto slides or scales not to many notes (short scales) and keep the notes close together even chromatic. Then practice nice 3-5 tone scales in chest nice and clean and pretty until your about to change something or feel strain about to happen then go back down. Do this for a couple months with your other practice

I wish I could help. But then, I already sound like a girl. It's ironic, really. I am 6' 6", about 225 lbs, I look like a Hell's Angel that cleaned up for a court appearance. I could totally put on a GWAR costume, which would not look like much of a costume on me, and start with "Ave, Maria." How's that for confusing.

The simplest way I can say it is just do it. You say, Jay, in your first post that you are not afraid to sound like a girl. And at first, you might sound like one. Don't expect to take the magic pill and have a full D5 overnight. But, essentially, start out in falsetto and start adding support and just a slight tighter twang or quack.

Anthony Frisell starts his students in falsetto. The quack comes later, after they have gained some control over breath. And not just slowing down breath, but also providing a concentrated stream, at times.

So, go ahead and start with the girly sound. Then let it morph into the girl who plays some softball. Then, start getting tomboy-ish, later.

I like the way Steven Fraser described it. You start with falsetto or at least a light weight and then, just a little bit, let the "big dog" out to play.