Discovered my head voice - now What?

Rate this topic

Negoba

So for some reason the "witch's cackle" worked for me and then I realized that the bratty voice and all the words I'd heard before were the same thing. I can connect and it's helped my chest voice have a little edge to it.

So I can now do what sounds alot like Axl with much better range than before.

But that nasally sound doesn't apply to the kind of music I do.

How do you keep that connection but not sound like a duck?

Want to get rid of the nasally sound? Try and remember the connection but think DOPEY. like MUM MUM MUM or MOOM MOOM MOOM like your saying "duuuuuh." Try and sound like an idiot, it really helps! Then you can find your OWN perfect blend of nasality and dopeyness to suit your style! Also how have you been doing the witches cackle? Try modifying it to a more open vowel once you get comfy :P

I too was very nasal when I first found "the witch's cackle". What helped me was what JayMC wrote, but together with that try to pinch your nose. If the sound changes or maybe even stops completely, you are still nasal. So try to keep the same kind of SOUND as "the witch's cackle" but thinking like Jay said, dopey. It's a fine balance but when practiced starts to become second nature :)

GL!

you can control the level of nasality by making adjustments to your soft palate. when you raise your soft palate you'll bring the larynx down with it which will remove the nasality. you must learn to make those types of adjustments.

it depends on the sound you're going for as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll fold those things into my practice. Having a significant commute is a blessing because I get to practice 60-90 minutes a day. Amazing how things improve more quickly that way. But I also need to be patient and consolidate the gains made already.

The guy from Rock the Stage NYC, who has alot of videos for free, had one where he has you doing some resonant falsetto and then switching to witch's cackle, and trying to feel the difference. The thing that happened was the realization that Axl was singing in this all the time. So I spent a few days singing my favorite GnR songs like the witch and it was one of the 1000 little steps you take.

Dopey Witch's Cackle. This should be fun.

Yeah, I should respect him. Kevin has given us all some good content for free. Thanks.

Interestingly, if you type in "Resonant Tracking Singing" in the youtube search engine, response #1 is Kevin and #2 is Tibetan Monks doing "Throat Singing" which is an interesting sound...

• 11 months later...

Congrats on getting into your head voice, that's no small accomplishment. I sort of had the same thing when I first started, where the first solid configuration I got up in the high range was "Axl voice". Not surprisingly the first song I performed with my new extended range was Sweet Child O Mine. Now I do that song a little more like Myles Kennedy and a little less like Axl.

All the suggestions here are pretty good, as they'll get you to that darker sound you're looking for. But keep working on the witch's cackle too. Like JayMC said, you're looking for a blend of the two sounds.

also add exercises that cause you to cry into the voice. just like a baby, don't force it. support and cry...don't over think it, don't concern yourself with pitch, just cry all throughout your range....i personally swear by crying....

wah, (the "cat" ah) niah, (neeaaaah) "meow" same thing.....simple 5-tone stuff.