Stevie Wonder - For once in my life

Rate this topic

This is a really challenging song in Stevie Wonder's range. I've sung it in Paul William's (Temptations) range:

http://soundcloud.com/killerku/foronceinmylifebest

And there is no way I could comfortably be in Stevie's range without utilizing a real heady/falsetto sish tone. It wouldn't sound 'Stevie,"

Wow your version was very different from mine! Interesting, more operatic! Do you know how much it was lowered? Did you play around a little with the tones/melody as well in some parts? I usually listen to a song (the original) for many times and then that is what the melody should be like. Sometimes I get it wrong though! ;)

I really like to sing with the instruments so I've only tried it like mine and one octave down (which sounds weird when I do it at least, but it seems mostly possible). I should try to lower it by maybe 4-6 semitones when I/if decide to redo it. Sure I can find some program that keeps speed while altering pitch.

You utilized a rather nasally piercing kind of tone, which is unique and your pitch was pretty good.

Thanks, I think :) Would you say that I did what you said you had to do, having a more heady/falsettoish tone so I don't sound at all like Stevie? I've listened to him and he manages to have a very dark shade to his voice somehow. I noticed being off pitch, especially when I went into falsetto. I use to have an ok sense off pitch but it is harder when being up there!

I think you could benefit from connecting into the voice a bit more and focusing on your chest voice too without having to flip into the falsetto so much. You might even try transposing down. If you could mix more richness into the nasal kind of tone without completely removing the playful/piercing personality I think you'd reach closer.

Thanks for the tip. I've come to the conclusion that what I need is bridging from mix into head voice. Problem is that I'm not at all strong enough in my head voice so I need to strengthen it a lot. I have a hard time do a do B4 in head voice with any power. I've tried to do the entire song in head voice and I have to push for the B4 so no wonder I have to do the same when I try to bridge. I find it hard with even falsetto above A4, although I can get up to around G5 if I push. I have a lot of work to do here before I can bridge!

Once I can bridge I can try to make chest more chesty I guess, but right now I think I need to keep it light so it doesn't overpower the head voice during bridging ;)

I'm not even sure if you could call what I have head voice, might just be falsetto with no air or something. Either way I need more power!

Hey, my version was inspired by the late, great Paul Williams' version. He was the first lead singer of the Temptations and rather underrated, imo.

It was recorded in 1967: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temptations_in_a_Mellow_Mood

Actually released a year before Stevie's Version 1968: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Once_in_My_Life_%28album%29

It appears our versions are about a fifth (five semi tones) apart judging by the starting tone. I believe the highest note I sang was a G#4, but that was deep into my bridge and still using a chesty kind of configuration.

As to your broader question about bridging into a head voice. It sounds like you tend to slip into falsetto, but to be honest, I don't really know how much of my voice is falsetto or how much is head voice either! My opinion is I bridge into falsetto(ish) out of a mix past about B4. If you want another interesting version of another Stevie Wonder song inspired by David Ruffin's version:

http://soundcloud.com/killerku/heavenhelpusall

Up there I'm in a similar place, where I have no idea if that is supposed to be falsetto. If it is it's a rather thick/reinforced thick falsetto. I just think it's cool. At the end of the day, I think it doesn't matter head voice/falsetto. You try to get to the sounds you want. Try to get them comfortably. Take your time in the process. Try to make them sound good and try to not hurt yourself! :D

I'm one of the members here who is a bit proud to not really care that much, but I realize the process in getting there is rather difficult.

Interesting, it sounded like more than 5 semitones down. But it is not the same and much slower. It feels MUCH darker, especially in your version! I have almost no problem singing G#4 without any tricks, the problem starts right after G#4. I should try to it in that tuning as well (since someone wanted to hear more of my chest voice as well up there).

I do care about the sound and I can hear from my own recording that anything that happens after I "break" is not what I want :)

In your case I guess it is not an on/off thing; it is about shading of sound etc. In your new clip perhaps it is head voice but it seems kinda "pressed" if that is what it is. Or it is falsetto. Seems like there are so many words/opinions!

ps. I could watch the temptations version of youtube, but not using your link. Might help other people who try! I really liked it!

Ok now....

Just tried it. The end kills me.. Wow, he goes high there....

Ill keep on working before posting this one :)

Exactly what I should have done, but I've gotten some good tips! Good luck! I'll try it in your key next time I have a chance to record!