resonance tracking

Rate this topic

MDEW

A new discovery for me. When doing scales and other exercises keep mouth, lips and tongue in the same position for all notes low to high. That way the only thing that can change is resonance. I am of course talking about when you are working with the same vowel low to high and back.

Does anyone agree with this or am I on the wrong track again?

Of course Mdew its like building a bridge. You build the foundation, then the frame, then you thicken and strengthen it up with more and more materials. So you find the release from a relaxed position and you will most likely feel as you go higher its gets lighter and less mass but the resonance takes over for the mass. Then as you continue to get used to it and the break goes away you add more and more thickness and strength to the sound without force or changing anything. Does that make sense?Thats how you build the voice..:) I ain't lying;)

Thanks. I believe I have been trying to force resonance by changing mouth position. I came across a video or something that flat out told me to keep everything above the throat in the same position. Other videos had aluded to this but never came right out and stated it. I guess I am just too hard headed to not grasp this before.

The journey continues. :cool:

And there is a thing in 4 Pillars called resonant tracking. It sounds like you are intuitively getting to the same spot. I like resonant tracking because it also helps with onsets. It's a multi-faceted tool and you will go far with it.

I know that several members here have talked about resonant tracking and I know that you were one of them Ron. I believe that I was trying to manipulate the resonance instead of trying to follow it.

I know it's just a small part of the big picture but I am starting to fill in the gaps. I will work with this and support for a while and see how I progress.

For me I can't keep everything completely still, however keeping movement in the mouth and lips down certainly helps. I do however agree and relate to what you said about trying to force your resonance rather than following it. As I'm beginning to be able to follow it more, things start to fall into place with this whole "use less air the higher you go" business :)

It's a tricky balance though, at least for me.

try looking at vowels in a different way......try to look at vowels as having nothing to do with speech...look at them as throat socket sounds that allow breath flow ..let the tongue and lips make the vowel change along with an open throat.

Another excellent point and sometihng that I am working on, currently. And it made me notice, when singing along with a song on the radio, that the original singer may be using a vowel that works for them and not for me. So, I shift to one that works for me and the tension goes away. "In the pocket," indeed.

Of course, now, singing with slightly different vowel sounds may cause an apparent dissonance. So, when doing covers, it helps to use tracks without vocals already on them.