Will Developing a Mix Voice Allow you to Sing Higher...

Rate this topic

without going into your head voice?

So say if my highest note I'm able to sing in my chest voice is E4, will developing a mix voice allow me to sing higher than E4, say upto B4 (in my mix voice) without going into my head voice? Then anything after B4 (or a note around there) will be going into my head voice?

So,

Upto E4 - Chest Voice

E4-B4 - Mix Voice

After B4 - Head Voice

Does it work anything like this, and will developing a mix voice allow one to sing higher without going into their head voice?

I hope that made sense :)

In the terminology I follow, that register that sits around E4-B4 is head voice. But anyways, that register can indeed be extended much higher. Mine used to cap out at Bb4 and now I can stretch it to D5, or even higher on a good day. But it does have a limit. At some point you have to go into flageolet register or what you would call head voice, where the sound either gets very pure and flutey or splats out brighter for a high metal scream aesthetic.

Do you even believe in the "mix" voice theory then? I've read a few books and seen diagrams where they say that E4-B4 can be mixed voice. That's just what I've read / seen though. Sorry if I came across as ignorant in that comment but anways.. At the moment my head voice reaches upto C5. But yeah I was just wondering if singing in a mix voice allows you to sing higher without going into your head voice not if you can increase the range in head voice, if that makes any sense :)

Well it's two words for the same thing. The terminology depends on whether you define it by the sound or by the actual physiology. Those that just determine by the sound realize that it sounds like it's exactly between the familiar tone of chest voice and the familiar tone of a pure head voice or falsetto, so they call it mixed or middle voice and it is only heard from advanced singers. But as for what's actually happening in the body, once you get past that E4 area, you are already on the other side, with completely different muscles becoming dominant. So it makes more sense to give it a totally different name. But it all functions in tandem, so you could also claim that every note is mixed voice, all mixed in different ratios. The real mixing part is about not completely letting go of the chest voice musculature once the head voice musculature becomes dominant. It is a gradual shift, and that's the tough part.

And yes, as I said before, you can take what you are calling "mixed voice" a lot higher than B4.

Thanks Owen! Deff. helped me out. :)

what if we said it wouldn't....what would you do next?

lol... I'd continue on with my life practicing singing on a daily basis and improve as the months go by, regardless of whether or not singing in a mixed voice increases range without going into head voice. It's not really a big deal if it doesn't beacuse at the moment im not that great of a singer, I haven't developed my mixed voice yet.

Why do you ask though?

People also need to know that while there is no such thing as a quick fix, if you work hard, practice daily, have a burning desire to succeed as a vocalist, think positively, make vocals part of your life, take care of your health, listen to your intuition, seek high quality vocal instruction, and just overall do everything right, you CAN achieve fast progress. That's the closest you're going to get to a quick fix.

The irony is, the people who want instant results are often the ones that are the least willing to work hard for those results, and that's why they want the results immediately. They just aren't willing to put in the effort. So you have to decide: Are you just not willing to put in the effort of years of hard work? Or do you just want those results quicker so you can get on with your career as a successful vocalist? If you fall into the former category and don't wish to get out of that lazy rut, you might as well stick to singing as a hobby. If you fall into the latter category and let that goal drive your diligence, your voice could flourish in less than a year. Once you get into that "I will do whatever it takes to become an amazing singer as soon as possible" mindset, you'll be improving as fast as you can. I should note this also includes intentional pacing. You have to be smart about your health or it won't work. In order to maintain your fastest pace of improvement as a vocalist, you have to also listen to your body and be careful not to injure yourself even on a minor scale.

Although I'm not a lazy singer and I do work hard at this craft, this comment really inspired me. Thanks Owen +1 rep :)