Is This Sung in a Mixed Voice or Head Voice?

Rate this topic

iwillbecomeagoodsinger

Heres the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFIDaUSXBHI

Comes in at around :30 seconds when he says "the life, I can't let it go" and also "that's right, I wont ever know"

It doesn't really sound like head voice / falsetto but it sounds to high to be in his chest voice. So I'm thinking it's in his mixed voice. But if it is his head voice, he has a crazy thick sounding head voice that sounds really good imo.

Thoughts? :)

Sounds like falsetto done by a dude who is using auto tune. Horrible quality sound though. To me, it sounds like a trained rapper trying to sing, or an untrained singer rapping. Not real impressive at all.

You must have some sort of dislike towards rappers that sing. I disagree with your comment though, sounds to me like he is a rapper who learned how to sing and he actually sounds quite good in result. And just because he's a rapper who sings doesn't mean he's using autotune. You can clearly hear that he isn't using autotune in this song. There's also many videos of him singing live (without autotune) and he sounds great!

But back to the whole chest / mix voice thing... You really think he's singing in falsetto in those parts of the song I listed? Sounds pretty thick for falsetto imo. Why don't you think that's his mixed voice?

Sounds a bit falsetto to me.

I have a little bit of a different view than most about headvoice, falsetto, mix and chest. I look at everything as headvoice only a matter of how high or how low. I consider falsetto to be just another technique or vocal effect/texture added by choice for flavor. But it is airy/breathy and everything else shouldn't be (Chest, mixed, head) thus everything else being a form of headvoice. I like to work in the head and go from top down. But that's just me :)

Drake uses vocal fry to thin/connect the voice. He uses lip rolls to decompress the sound and still maintain connection. In the song you mentioned only part of it is in head voice, you can barely tell since his chest phonation has a "heady" placement. Don't ask how I know ;)

He can't sing live because of his heavy use of autotune but if you can maintain connection and decompress the sound (without breathiness) then you can easily do what he just did.

Listen to :39 for pure falsetto and recognize that quality in your voice. What he is doing here is applying the resonance of falsetto/head to his chest voice so to the untrained ear it seems seamless.

I agree with Bob. The ladies I have known don't really like being called by that word. And here's what I don't understand. If a guy uses that word and it is meant to be diminutive, as in less social standing than a lady, then why would he associate with a woman that he calls that name? That is, who is he, as a man, for being with a woman that he would call such a name?