My vocal technique

Rate this topic

James P.

I've noticed that for me the only thing that seems to decide whether I hit the note or not is how quickly I go from making no sound to making the sound I want, like going from 0 to 60 in .3 seconds, along with how relaxed I am. Acceleration is the word of the day for me, air acceleration I guess. I'm trying to figure out how to explain this, I don't feel like making a video right now. I used 2 resources to guide me toward this technique, along with vocalizing in different ways to find out what works for me:

This one:

and Jesse Nemitz's video on breathing which is one of those Singing Success Online videos.

The funny thing is that now when I click on singing forums and I read about people asking for tips on "mix voice," "downwards support," "maintaining compression," "mums etc.," "smiling while you sing," and so on and so on I can't help but think NO, drop it all, it's all useless and damaging! Just relax your face while you sing like you just smoked a couple joints. Then again, it's not like I can sing yet. But I'm hitting all the same notes that I could before using those "techniques" except I've dropped absolutely everything, and it's just such a huge weight lifted off my chest.

I just wanted to share, thanks for reading and good singing!

You 'pull' up way too much on those high notes, but other than that, it's pretty good! It would sound much richer in harmonic content with a better mic.... But I also think that all the 'mixed' voice and whatnots discussion is useless for many people and that it can ultimately slow you down a lot.