Voice just about gone on higher register

Rate this topic

I have posted about allergies and recent voice problems starting on my recent cruise/karaoke adventure and then being sick afterwards. I got better and did some successful vocal exercises. I even had a breakthrough and did "may" and "ah" from low to high and back without breaking. No strain either in case you were wondering :D

Today I decided to record a couple of songs. Something I haven't done for awhile. Two Joe Cocker songs. I added a lot of rasp but that isn't unusual for me. Everything felt good. Later that day I decided to tr my hand at another song just to see if I could add it to my list. But suddenly my high notes weren't there. Everything else was fine but high middle was gone. I stopped. I tested myself a few times later and it got worse.

Check this out.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11913280&q=hi

You sound like I did when I injured myself. The solution that worked for me was resting the voice and no singing. For close to a week. Then, easing back into it with falsetto descending sirens to regain my fine control. And I had injured myself trying to add "distortion" to my voice, as well.

I injured it twice because I thought I did it wrong, the first time. Well, no, for me, I did a wrong thing, twice. Because I was doing something my voice was not designed to do.

And you may not have injured yourself that way. Maybe just too much singing to soon after getting over your malady.

I have found, by taking it easy and starting light, it will come back.

Somehow I keep feeling as if this is a nose thing more than a throat thing. Reason being is I can sing in chest voice which is lower and I can get away with it by not resonating too much (I'm gonna search for a word now) Pharyngealy (?) I'm missing my voice up high because there is more nasality involved. My nose isn't stuffed but I get a lot of fluids needing to be hocked up thru the day. Not from the throat but from the nasal passages. If not the nose itself...the passages and connecting structures.

IF you're dealing with post nasal drip, then you are right about the nose being the culprit.

If you have a sinus infection and/or allergies and the inside walls of your nose swell up randomly, all that junk then goes down your throat and lovingly coats your vocal folds with way more phlegm than they need to function and it actually restricts them from approximating properly.

That's why you only feel it in certain places of your register, but it also has a tendency to move around to different spots so you may notice some notes are gone and then they're back, but some other notes may now be gone. It's that nasty phlegm making this mess.

Tommy, I get that ALL the time. Most of the time, if I take a long hot shower and do lip rolls it goes away for a little while. For me, it's a phlem thing. All of a sudden I'll cough, and a thick piece of garbage comes flying out. Then I'm fine again.

Tommy, I get that ALL the time. Most of the time, if I take a long hot shower and do lip rolls it goes away for a little while. For me, it's a phlem thing. All of a sudden I'll cough, and a thick piece of garbage comes flying out. Then I'm fine again.

I'm just having breakfast now. Shower is next. I'll see how that goes. I have been up for 30 minutes but haven't spoken yet.

Tommy, I'm certainly no doctor but when I hear your example of your voice today, I don't think your lower registry sounds healthy. I could pick up immediately that your voice isn't happy right now. I've heard this with folks that are getting over a cold and sometimes when they have been fighting with laryngitis. I guess if you don’t feel it is any better today, you might consider seeing your doctor although, I believe laryngitis is a viral illness. By the way, loved your two new songs. The backing tracks were great also.

Steve

Tommy, I'm certainly no doctor but when I hear your example of your voice today, I don't think your lower registry sounds healthy. I could pick up immediately that your voice isn't happy right now. I've heard this with folks that are getting over a cold and sometimes when they have been fighting with laryngitis. I guess if you don’t feel it is any better today, you might consider seeing your doctor although, I believe laryngitis is a viral illness. By the way, loved your two new songs. The backing tracks were great also.

Steve

Thanks Steve :)

tommy, i'm also a phlegm/reflux sufferer.....and it truly sucks.

i tried nasal irrigation and i got some relief....just knowing that you can rinse out your nasal passages of all this crap that can get stuck in your nose so easily is comforting.

neilmed is a great brand.

tommy, try your falsetto, can you sustain a high falsetto tone?

I'm going to look into that nasal irrigation today Bob, thanks.

It may be coincidental that I got hit with an allergy attack when I was on the cruise. I mean due to the fact that I was singing a lot it is easy to say that the most simple answer is "you sang a lot and now your voice is screwed up so it must be the singing." But I don't think 2-4 songs per night for 7 nights is really that much...not like doing a concert every night :D And the other coincidence is the fact that I layed off singing for a week or so after coming home and then recorded the two songs I posted and my voice disappeared. Maybe it was just timing and my voice would have gone if I sang or not.

I say this because of other signs or things that have been going on for awhile. The whole summer actually. For instance at night while I sleep I can't breath thru my nose out of one nostril. During the day I can breath but at night and when I wake...nothing. But the other nostril seems to leak at times. Also, during the day I am always hocking crap up and spitting. Actually I should say hocking "down" because it isn't from the throat most times it is from the nose. When it is from the throat I always have the impression it is from post nasal drip.

For the last three years (when this pretty much started) my sister has been saying she believes I have allergies whenever I complained of a cold. All the colds I've had (which is something I never get much) have been upper respiratory. She says it isn't a cold and i should be checked for allergies especially since it is always the same symptoms. I always argued with her that I don't have allergies. Her answer is that I never did but it's never too late to get them. My wife has allergies and she has been suffering (in the nose) all week also. Not the same as mine, but still. Something must be in the air. Also Every now and then, a few times per day I blow my nose and a boatload of clear fluid comes out. Too much for a standard tissue and I'm better off using a paper towel.

Anyway, I've been resting, no singing since I recorded on Wednesday and minimal speaking just in case. I just woke and haven't spoken or tested my voice yet other than a a few hums and lip rolls sliding up. yesterday morning the lip rolls didn't work up higher. This morning the do but slightly fuzzy up top. Then again I just woke (drank 10 oz of water). The hums also slide all the way but are a little rumbly up top. Again...it's early.

I bought that stuff today and ran it through. I think it cleared out a lot. But before that my voice seemed to be clearing up a lot anyway. I am still resting so haven't really tried to sing. But I did try at least one "may" low to high at a medium to low volume and that worked whereas it didn't yesterday and not even close the day before. Some oo in falsetto also as well as normal heady oo, ee and ah. Not 100% but from the little and low volume I tried I'd say 95 %