Ask a coach any question about his vocal technique on his own record!

Rate this topic

James Lugo

I just finished my new record this week and I thought it be fun to have people ask any questions regarding any vocal technique in any section of any song. Here's a link to the mp3's:

http://www.jameslugo.com/music.shtml

I thought this would be a cool twist, put a coach in the hot seat! I will tell you in advance the answers may not be all that exciting, I'm kind of an simple guy when it comes to vocal technique.

Peace,

James Lugo

P.S. I wish Robert good luck with his new site, I think it's great.

• Administrator

Hello James... and thanks.

I think this is a great idea... lets listen to Jame's killer vocals and provide some feedback ... I have a tune on my profile page called "Bowed In Disgrace" that offers a lot of tricks; belts, bridging, distortion, G5 (I think its a G) adducted head tone scream and a killer inhale extreme scream...

Also, in regards to TMV, this is EVERYONE's new site, not just mine... this is the way a vocal community should be and Im asking each of you to please tell your friends, badge your web sites with the red badge/logo and let people know about The Modern Vocalist.

James: please upload your tunage, embed some videos and post some blogs... people would love to hear from you and TMV offers a more diverse group so there are a lot of people here that should know more about you.

James EXCELLENT!!!! KILLER TUNES AND VOCALS!!!! KILLER PRODUCTION AND MIX!!!! I PERFER TO JUST LISTEN RATHER THEN ANALYZE IT, WHICH MEANS IT'S KILLER. Although closely listening I can hear everything your doing,where and when. Upon first listening I don't - That means your doing it right, no technique sound be appearant( to the laymen or fans). Sounds like your singing, not hesitating,worrying. Great Job!!!!!!!(not to say that you weren't hesitating, worrying lol) but a Great singer shouldn't sound like it.

James EXCELLENT!!!! KILLER TUNES AND VOCALS!!!! KILLER PRODUCTION AND MIX!!!! I PERFER TO JUST LISTEN RATHER THEN ANALYZE IT, WHICH MEANS IT'S KILLER. Although closely listening I can hear everything your doing,where and when. Upon first listening I don't - That means your doing it right, no technique sound be appearant( to the laymen or fans). Sounds like your singing, not hesitating,worrying. Great Job!!!!!!!(not to say that you weren't hesitating, worrying lol) but a Great singer shouldn't sound like it.

Thanks man, that's what I was going for. As a vocal coach I always tell my students it's my job to hide my work. If you're on stage thinking about what I taught you or someone says do you study with James I have failed as a coach.

My god.....great vocals everywhere!!!!

You could perfectly match the bands you're inspired.

And I really love to hear it's not a vocal coach who sings..but a singer.

Great work IMHO.

Wow, thanks Alessandro. We don't know what to do with it, I'm 44 and kind of threw in the towel as far as a serious career as a singer anymore but the guys who played on the record want to take it for a spin and see what happens. They are a bunch of young top LA rock players; Gregg Cash/Bass, Dan McMains/Guitars and Charles Ruggerio/ Drums. So we'll see, the band is sick and ready to go. Maybe take one last shot, what the hell.

Thanks for the support, it means the world coming from you.

James

CenteroftheUniverse- People are smart, label aren't they seem to shy away from anyone over they're late 20's and it's a damn same because most of the really great ones out there are over 30 and just didn't catch a wave. Ann Wilson is better live now then she's been in many years, just saw her recently and she did a cover of Love rain on me that would make you say WOW! but they don't get the label push of the young acts.

i suppose it makes a difference if you want big commercial success but then your in the wrong genre if you want that anyway when it comes to proper rock and metal. personally i wouldnt mind having a smaller but more sinceer audience rather than mass appeal. i think its different anyway as in europe success means playing clubs that hold a couple of thousand not arenas-that era is long over for the majority of bands

i suppose it makes a difference if you want big commercial success but then your in the wrong genre if you want that anyway when it comes to proper rock and metal. personally i wouldnt mind having a smaller but more sinceer audience rather than mass appeal. i think its different anyway as in europe success means playing clubs that hold a couple of thousand not arenas-that era is long over for the majority of bands

Labels are business, you may not mind having a smaller audience and if your self financed or on an indie with great support that might work. In general however acts get drop from labels if they don't sell and/ or you don't get great PR or Label support and get lost. There is very little mid ground on Major labels, one of the reasons is there is so much available as far as talent goes now. They replace quickly rather then invest long term.

And the funny part of this whole conversation is the most commercially successful band in years, Nickelback, the singer looks older then me. Go figure.

Hell James it's a truely ******up Industry in many respects, same as acting. There is little middle ground. You either scrape by on the bottom or you luck out and fill your pockets in mad amounts. However once someone gains momentum and a following, they can just about crap on a plate and the public will buy it. If you read the Meatloaf biography he states he was brought to tears, his first Award they asked him not to appear on TV because they thought he was too fat and " offensive looking" and that it would offend the audience. Really ******up. for the most part real fans don't care if they like the music. Thing is they're selling sex, fashion and other related product. so they want people they can market all that stuff with.

Brother just keep puttin it out there, your stuff is fantastic and people need to hear it. You might also find the rare an A&R guy with a brain lol I've actually only met a handful that know anything about music, most have marketing degrees.

James..these songs deserve a record and an audicence to listen to them!

Don't care about age..I'm 30 y.o. and I should care there is a lot of 20y.o. guys out there kicking butts everywhere...but I don't care:-)

I think a musician, a TRUE musician has to crate music. Teaching is to turn your passion into living...but ART, that fire burning your soul, cannot be stopped by age, look or other bullshit.

You're a talented singer, a great composer.

Go for it.

Man...look at nickelback...even Alter Bridge..are they young? I don't think so..don't care for it...just care about doing it..I am sure you sing better now than ever...so now it's the moment to give it another try.

James, your vocals sound really great.

And the age issue doesn't mean sh**. Rock music is not about looking young or good anymore like it was in the 80's and that's a good thing. Not that I'm old or piss-ugly, lol, but most great bands these days care only about refining their craft and that's how it should be.

Thanks for all the responses, boy it's a lot to think about. I layed in bed last night and really reflected on what it is I want to do and I'm still on the fence. I spent the better part of 2 decades travelling as a singer/musician and have enjoyed a more stable life these days, so we'll have to think it through.

You are really great in all of these songs, James. This is not so typical that vocal coaches are really good singers ;) You are and your songs are very good also! I am happy to buy your CD as I bought your course.

I'm at the same place James, I'm in many ways tired , not of the music but of the industry and some of the attitudes.( remember i've been going professionally since 15) There are so many things in life i've been forced to give up or put aside. like kids it is to unstable for me financially so truley unless something that allows my some financial security happens within the next year or so, I need to move on to other things for awhile. I've also been dealing with my sick 94 year old grandmother who has both priviate insurance and medicaid and she can't pay the bills. I do not want to be in my 60's on welfare or relying on SS. Most actors, vocalist ,musicians (fulltime) unless they are famous get screwed in those departments. even the unions don't do much- you just pay in.

James..the balance is just in the middle...if you're a true rocker..we cannot but miss the smell of being on the road...but it cannot last forever...if you have a band that works enough to make it happen without wasting billions..let's go for it.

and sleep...a good rest is necessary for those great pipes:-)ehehe

• Administrator

James, your a great rock vocalist, but that fact I have known for two years already. I have a "James Lugo" folder in my private shuffle... these tunes are more of the same. Here's my take on it fellas...

James perhaps the labels wont throw great gobs of investment at your project unfortunately for stupid reasons around age, (when bands like velvet revolver, DT, Queensryche, etc... keep rockin???)... but in the world of electronic / web marketing and downloads you can sell your music and you can do large regional shows. In my book, thats a success. I mean lets get real... is it really about being a rock star like we all dreamed of when we were 15 years old? What is a "rock star" anyways...? I believe the definition of "rock star" is anyone that is making original music, recording, publishing and performing it... at what level of distribution that happens makes no difference.

The best way to explain it is... being a "rock star" is a life style that centers around musicians that are active, writing, recording and publishing... if a gifted painter is painting original works but never achieves great commercial success for the paintings, does that mean he/she is not a great painter/artist? "Rock Star" is earned by your work ethic and ability to produce original art and your passion as an artist. It is NOT defined by commercial success... in my book. Any of my students that are in bands, writing original music, making recordings, performing it and moving on to the next project is a "Rock Star".

The other thing that is very important that I have held in high esteem for James is that, like myself, he is a voice coach that leads by example. He puts himself out there in the public eye and doesnt ask his students to do things that he is not prepared to do himself. He isnt afraid to take a risk of someone not liking his singing... In my book, the best leaders are those that lead from the FRONT! Alessandro, Shaun Williamson, Olivier Tronquet, Darrison, Judy Rodman, Jeannie Deva, Dena Murray, Brett Manning, did I miss any? There are others... are all voice teachers that are also active artists.

One final point on this... just because your the the leader on voice training in your studio, it does not necessarily mean that the artist/teacher has to have the best recordings or vocal chops. Was King Arthur the best with the sword? Not really, Lancelot was... but King Arthur was the inspiration and held the wisdom of the round table... having said that, you do have to have some measure of talent and chops... I make this point within boundaries of reason. I still would not want to go toe to toe with King Arthur in the champion ring...

One of the things that really gets me "bent" is arguing with other people that pontificate on "this" and on "that" and they dont sing ??? :/ ??? , or we dont have any evidence of it... and cant perform the very things they are claiming to be an expert at ... This drives me up the wall. At The Vocalist Studio, I am really big on making sure that I remain active as an artist as much as my time permits so no one can ever look at me and question my integrity and ability to carry a tune... I am a voice coach for peets sake, I had better damn well be able to sing decent and show something for it. In conclusion, I would share a fox hole with James Lugo any day, he is the real deal.

There is a tune on my "Robert Lunte & The Vocalist Studio" page that I think is a good example for people to listen to... it features classic rock distortions/rasp, chesty belts, a high G6 adducted scream ( I think its a G6 ) and an inhale extreme distortion... filled with gobs of tricks. Its titled, "Bowed In Disgrace", check it out. :cool:

Hope this helps...

Great work James! I've been a fan of your work for awhile now. The songs are very well crafted, and your voice sounds great!

I wouldn't dwell on the age thing (I'm the same age as you)...there is always an audience for great music ;)