Concerned about my voice

Rate this topic

voc-al

I have noticed that while doing excercises such as ah or eh at certain notes at the top the voice just disappears and all I have is air. Then the next one sounds fine. So I try to do it again this time adding more air pressure and the note works but it seems way too much air pressure that should be used. I don't want to continue this way because I am afraid I am damaging my folds. This is so bothering. Anyone familiar with this? I am 36 if it helps. It sometimes happens during bubbles and trills too.

Thanks

VA

So I try to do it again this time adding more air pressure and the note works but it seems way too much air pressure that should be used.

VA

Too much in comparison to what? I'm one of those guys who thinks that we do not sing as we speak. At times, there will, of necessity, be a more concentrated air stream, as Anthony Frisell put it. Is it more air pressure than what you use speaking quietly into the phone?

At the risk of sounding like Bob, you have to engage breath support. And yes, it is also going to be a case of where you are getting louder as you go higher.

When adding some more air pressure and you get the high notes solidly, do you feel strain in the throat?

Behold, my mantra, which I have only repeated like the drone of the highway while driving across the american southwest.

Motion, when necessary, in the abs.

Note in the head.

Nothing in the throat. Ever.

Ron's Redneck School of Singing (and scaring domestic animals)

As far as I know that's normal. It's not a sign of permanent damage, just temporary fatigue or lack of coordination. Try sliding up to the note with vocal fry, that might help fill in the holes.

Thanks Owen.

Problem is I Cant do vocal fry. Only early in the morning. Ivery followed every single YouTube video, followed instructions on this forum. Still no vocal fry...

I really wish I can get this resolved.

Would four pillars help me here? I am considering purchasing it but dont wan t o if my issue Cantonese be resolved through it..

Thanks

VA

Too much in comparison to what? I'm one of those guys who thinks that we do not sing as we speak. At times, there will, of necessity, be a more concentrated air stream, as Anthony Frisell put it. Is it more air pressure than what you use speaking quietly into the phone?

At the risk of sounding like Bob, you have to engage breath support. And yes, it is also going to be a case of where you are getting louder as you go higher.

When adding some more air pressure and you get the high notes solidly, do you feel strain in the throat?

Behold, my mantra, which I have only repeated like the drone of the highway while driving across the american southwest.

Motion, when necessary, in the abs.

Note in the head.

Nothing in the throat. Ever.

Ron's Redneck School of Singing (and scaring domestic animals)

Hey Ron.

When I say more I mean more then what I would use for the following higher notes.

Yes it does seem like strain.

I just completed lip bubbles and tounge trill and I also feel some slIght hoarsness. Should I feel anything after trills and bubbles? More so the trills? What helped me get through the notes today was holding a stiff diagfram.

Btw, what are your honest thoughts of the four pillars. I think you use it right?

Thanks

VA

Listen to Geno.

And yes, I use some of 4 Pillars. I have the 2.0 book (thanks to Robert, of course.) And I think it will help you.

And you should not be hoarse after lip bubbles or tongue trills. Those, alone, will not cause hoarseness. Something else is going on and it would take someone actually hearing you when the problem is present to diagnose.

...I just completed lip bubbles and tounge trill and I also feel some slIght hoarsness. Should I feel anything after trills and bubbles? More so the trills? What helped me get through the notes today was holding a stiff diaphragm.

VA

VA: Tongue trills and lip bubbles should be used sparingly with a voice that has too much air flow in it. They are usually for voices that have to little air flow in certain ranges..

I recommend you set them aside for 6 weeks or so, and focus your attention on exercises that build firmness and clarity of tone.

'Holding a stiff diaphragm'? If you mean keeping your abs firmly out while singing, what that would do is reduce the airflow, a good thing, I think. If you mean something else by the phrase, then let us know.

Have you had any luck doing the 'closed glottis' exercise I recommended a couple weeks ago? If not, I will make some other suggestions about how to get glottal closure.

Wow, I didn't catch that rigid diaphragm thing, before. And considering the thread where you corrected my ideas on controlling the diaphragm, I wonder how anyone could do any singing with a rigid diaphragm. Whether I think with the belly or someone else thinks with the diaphragm, I think it stays in motion, whether slow or fast, it is in motion.

And I may be wrong. But I may be happy in my ignorance. :D