Improving projection?

Rate this topic

pj

Hi guys, I'm having trouble correcting my projection. I'll give you a little background on my bad vocal habits so as to give you an idea. (And by the way, I'm still learning a lot of techniques, so I'm by no means a good vocalist)

I used to be pretty tense when I sing (my neck will feel the "pins" after 5mins of singing), and I used to lower my larynx and really tense up my throat, hence the voice prjection sounded backwards. Since then I have really learnt to relax the neck area and not sing in such a "backwards position", but recent recording of myself shows that the voice still sounds as though it is stuck in my throat.

I'm figuring out how to correct my projection, partly because it is a bad habit I have for a few years, and recently I tried to improve my projection by really pushing my voice forwards but I sounded like a duck and I lost all the resonant qualities, while my throat started feeling sore too. My projection also seems to be especially bad when I sing the vowel "Oh".

This is a sample of me with better resonance qualities but wrong projection.

And this is a sample of me with better projection but I was losing the resonance qualities.

Any tips and constructive comments would really help.

Thank you!

i wouldn't be too concerned about projection right now. it sounds to me like you have too much air passing over minimally adducted vocal folds which produces an airy sound....you need to learn to sing with less expelled air and slightly better vocal fold closure.

try singing a comfortable legatto note in your speaking voice on the word "ah" as in father. are you able to sustain the note or do feel yourself emptying out of air?

i wouldn't be too concerned about projection right now. it sounds to me like you have too much air passing over minimally adducted vocal folds which produces an airy sound....you need to learn to sing with less expelled air and slightly better vocal fold closure.

try singing a comfortable legatto note in your speaking voice on the word "ah" as in father. are you able to sustain the note or do feel yourself emptying out of air?

Incidentally, what Bob says here will help your projection in the long run. If you are feeling strain from projection, it's likely the result of pushing air to try and increase volume. Once you learn how to sing with less airflow and better fold closure, you can learn to use that same setup to project your voice. But first you have to learn to do it at moderate volumes before you can do it at loud ones. It took me a while to get the hang of, because I like being loud...

In addition, where you think you have resonance, you were actually singing through the nose. Don't.

Sing behind the nose, not through the nose. Singing in the mask, the common instruction for projection, does not mean singing through the nose. You might feel vibration there but it does not mean that the sound should come out from there.

Lighten up on the t and s sound. They are so heavy and are stopping your tone.

Definitely do the kah suggested by Gina, though, you could gah, in order to avoid to harsh a k sound. This will train some fuller adduction or meeting of the vocal folds. In so doing, you will need to meter the air with your abs. And, in trying to do this, it helps if you sing loud enough to expect someone on the other side of the room to hear you. These clips sounded like a stage just above whispering. Sing it like you mean it.

Hi guys, firstly thank you so much for the feedback.

I'm on my phone browser right now so I can't really give a long reply.

I will try the exercises suggested here once I get home.

I would like to clarify though, what is the difference between cord closure and tension in throat? I used to think that minimal tension is equals to minimal adduction of the cords.

I don't really get the part about singing behind the nose rather than singing through it.

Is there any specific visualization that would help me better achieve this?

Thank you once again.

This should explain most everything:

Hello, thank you for the link. Would it be right for me to say that essentially I should feel the resonance at not just the nose, but also the other areas of the face and this would be one of the indicators of resonance not nasality?

I have attempted to vocalize the scale with a "gah" like the suggestions provided here.

Could you please give me feedback on them? (I noticed some pitch problems though)

Thank you.

Hello, thank you for the link. Would it be right for me to say that essentially I should feel the resonance at not just the nose, but also the other areas of the face and this would be one of the indicators of resonance not nasality?

Yes, it should feel as if the front of your face is vibrating or tingling. The higher you go in the scale, the higher that sensation travels up the front of the face.

I have attempted to vocalize the scale with a "gah" like the suggestions provided here.

Could you please give me feedback on them? (I noticed some pitch problems though)

Thank you.

I'll be honest, it's not a great quality recording, but it sounds to me like you really need to work on support BEFORE worrying about resonance and projection.

I hear a weak, unsupported tone with plenty of air coming out.

That is probably what you also hear and that's why you may think that you lack resonance, but the truth is, once you support correctly, resonance will be very easy to achieve and you'll hear and feel it as you'll simply become louder by supporting your voice.

Get to work on support!

Hello, just to clarify, when you mentioned "working on support", do you mean focusing on keeping the ribs expanded? Any other areas to watch out for?

The problem of too many air escaping, is it something that I constantly have to keep in mind to correct, or would it solve by itself when I do those "gah" as mentioned?

What are the indicators as to a good support (specifically the sensations) ?

Anyway don't worry I understand that I have lots of work to do, I just want to find out how to improve.

Hello, just to clarify, when you mentioned "working on support", do you mean focusing on keeping the ribs expanded? Any other areas to watch out for?

The problem of too many air escaping, is it something that I constantly have to keep in mind to correct, or would it solve by itself when I do those "gah" as mentioned?

Anyway don't worry I understand that I have lots of work to do, I just want to find out how to improve.

Regarding support, there's tons of info on the forum and elsewhere, but I'll forward you to the same lovely lady I did yesterday, because I like the way she explains things, this should help you begin to understand support.

Regarding the air leaking, it's possible you're blowing too much air in an attempt to gain volume or go higher, but it's also possible you need to work on better fold closure, I don't know how to tell which one it is.

Regarding support, there's tons of info on the forum and elsewhere, but I'll forward you to the same lovely lady I did yesterday, because I like the way she explains things, this should help you begin to understand support.

Regarding the air leaking, it's possible you're blowing too much air in an attempt to gain volume or go higher, but it's also possible you need to work on better fold closure, I don't know how to tell which one it is.

Hello, thank you for your feedback. In the past few hours I have read up a lot on support.

Would it be right to say that right now I really need to focus on working on my support. and my breath flow should get better as I improve on my support?

Though of course I will pay attention to maintaining the air pressure, and I suppose this would help with reducing the expel of air.

Uh hey, I think you are worrying too much about researching singing, instead of actually singing....

just saying

No harm in asking questions. That's what the forum is for.

Yes. Work on support for say a week or so, do various exercises and post some new clips and we'll see how you're coming along.

If you're not sure how to practice support, search the forums here and go on youtube, there's lots of stuff all around to help you out.

Eventually it will become embedded in you and you won't have to think about support. Then you can get to all the other stuff, which will be much easier once you're supporting correctly.

@PowerofOne, Here we have a beginner talking about projection, resonance, air pressure, support, etc. There aren't hard concepts, but they are completely unnecessary.

You wanted to know how to get better, pj, and I will tell you. Just sing, and try to emulate those who are better. A little bit of advice can help you, but the most important thing is that you strive to improve by singing, not by researching technique and terminology, because those things can only be discovered.

You shouldn't be spending 'hours' reading about support (granted, that's most likely an exaggeration) when a few hours of vocal practice could make a real improvement.

@PowerofOne, Here we have a beginner talking about projection, resonance, air pressure, support, etc. There aren't hard concepts, but they are completely unnecessary.

You wanted to know how to get better, pj, and I will tell you. Just sing, and try to emulate those who are better. A little bit of advice can help you, but the most important thing is that you strive to improve by singing, not by researching technique and terminology, because those things can only be discovered.

You shouldn't be spending 'hours' reading about support (granted, that's most likely an exaggeration) when a few hours of vocal practice could make a real improvement.

I completely agree with you on the point that practice is very important, and yes I do Practise. But wouldn't you agree that if we do not learn what is the right technique and we end up practicing wrong techniques, we would be wasting our time?

Granted I asked these questions because I thought I had some techniques down, but it seems like right now the most important thing for me to work on is support, which I'm doing now.

Of course like I mentioned, I agree with you that practice is especially important.

It just seems that I have the tendency to "do things wrong" when I have not fully understood the concepts, and hence I need to clarify my doubts, in case I develop another wrong or bad habit.

Again you're much more experienced than me, and I appreciate your advice.