Train Male Headvoice

Rate this topic

I'm stuggling with my head voice. I feel as if I'm singing from the throat. I can hit whistle tones sometimes, I can bring the head voice so low that it sounds like chest.

Something doesn't feel right though. The pressure should not be on my throat. When I hit the whistle tones (accidentally) I don't feel ANYTHING. When I try and force the whistle tones they never appear. Also randomly when I'm practising staccatos in head voice (I try and be gentle, however I can feel the cords slamming), occasionally it goes into a vocal fry. I have no control over the fry sound it disappears and appears randomly! But the fry sound is quite relaxing and brings out a brighter head voice.

How do I correctly onset the head voice and train it without hurting my throat? What has worked for you?

What exercises can help me gain full control of my head voice ;)

According to Garcia (old teacher guy), men lose the 'head voice' at puberty. Well I want it back cause I need it for my style of singing LOL. Help!!!

- JayMC

Men can develop their head voices at any age really. Of course before puberty the men's larynx is like a woman's so things change after puberty.

You can develop a single voice with no obvious break where it seems like it is one single chest voice all the way up to however high you want to go. How to do this? Get on a workout program from a teacher that knows what he / she is doing, and develop a workout program that is tailored to your exact needs. The program needs to be modified as you reach certain milestones.

There are a couple difficult barriers to overcome - one is the passagio where you need to find the right vowel formation to carry you up. Otherwise you'll be "pulling chest" and you'll feel tightness and tension. The other is the gradual "thinning" of the folds as you go up, letting the CT muscle start to stretch the folds.

Daily workouts with the right exercises and you can develop the "connected" range very quickly - over a few months. But it takes a few years to really master the whole thing.

Lastely you need to be dedicated and willing to put in the work. And don't expect perfection overnight.

as an addtion to other great advice, i'm posting this again, because it has proven so beneficial.

work the head voice......seperately with vowels condusive to narrowing and that keep you from engaging chest voice musculature.

you want you work with "ee" and "oo" for starters. do slides in a descending fashion for a good while keeping out chest voice musculature. work this part of your voice and it will begin to get stronger.

start nice and light. they're easy and they work. be sure to run all the down past your break then you will need to back off the volume as you head all the way down. for this exercise, don't engage chest voice musculature.

I'm stuggling with my head voice. I feel as if I'm singing from the throat. I can hit whistle tones sometimes, I can bring the head voice so low that it sounds like chest.

Something doesn't feel right though. The pressure should not be on my throat. When I hit the whistle tones (accidentally) I don't feel ANYTHING. When I try and force the whistle tones they never appear. Also randomly when I'm practising staccatos in head voice (I try and be gentle, however I can feel the cords slamming), occasionally it goes into a vocal fry. I have no control over the fry sound it disappears and appears randomly! But the fry sound is quite relaxing and brings out a brighter head voice.

How do I correctly onset the head voice and train it without hurting my throat? What has worked for you?

What exercises can help me gain full control of my head voice ;)

According to Garcia (old teacher guy), men lose the 'head voice' at puberty. Well I want it back cause I need it for my style of singing LOL. Help!!!

- JayMC

Men don't "lose" their headvoice at puberty. Their vocal folds get longer. Women's vocal folds lengthen as well, albeit less than male ones.

You simply have to make some adjustments to your vocal setup in order to get the high notes.

Actually, I think it's kind of funny to drag up an old quote and use it as the kick starter for a question. Especially a quote that shows ignorance. Makes it easy for armchair experts like me to pontificate and reveal how much I know and what my thought processes are.