Free and Alone by Wingnut Dishwashers Union

Rate this topic

tisul

I was browsing the PIX forum and came across the tab for "Free and Alone". So I learned it, and am quite happy with how it came out.

Some comments and requests for criticism: I've been practicing pitch lately, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Definite improvement for some parts. Granted, the original singer isn't too talented but that's whatever.

I can't get the first verse right. That's a problem.

Breath control. It sounds breathy, not as much as I used to be but still. I kind of like that breathiness though, although that may not be popular.

I'm able to sing louder and project more. Not very noticeable in the mix but putting it out there.

And my playing was off today. B7 is a new chord to me, and as its x21202 it's a pain in the ass to switch to quickly.

Not a fan of the original artist. Listening to your version, I note that you are singing it an octave lower. You were as on pitch as the original singer, the octave difference notwithstanding. What exercises do you do? How do you warm up? A pseudo no-no while first learning an instrument, is not to mess with other things at the same time - like learning to sing AND at the same time, playing guitar. I would like to hear a clip of your vocal workout & warm up at this point, instead of songs you are trying to sing. And yes, B7 is difficult to fret (lol)

I normally don't do too many exercises, although recently i've begun doing octave scales. I've found that (or at least I think!) I have a range from about E2-G4, although middle C and above require an uncomfortable "head voice". I will upload some scales later on. I also do some breath control exercises recommended to me by Ron. Are there any in particular you would recommend?

Also, I didn't play and sing simultaneously, it was recorded track by track and then mixed.