Steelheart - She's Gone

Rate this topic

Hi guys, I'm new here and I would love to learn more about singing.

This is my cover of Steelheart's she's gone

https://www.box.com/s/4ec7ddf66dd881eb362c

I had to record this song in 4 separate sessions with 5-10 minutes of break-time in between because my voice doesn't have the stamina to sing it in one go.

I really like listening to music with high notes and high intensity, and it's my dream to have the freedom and power to sing the songs I love to listen to.

BTW, I have been working with Brett Manning's SS and MM for a while, not very rigorously tho.

A lot of times I try to self-diagnose and experiment. I've made some great improvements from not having a mix at all to where I'm at. However, my voice has ceased to see any major improvements for almost 2 years now.

I'll appreciate all advices and criticisms!

Time for a new program... 2 years is a long time to not see an improvement.. I hear the complete lack of support on the lower notes congruent with SLS methods. You have the range to do this, so it should not tire you out if you are singing correctly... Only other thing is be careful when you are stopping a note not to let the tone dive.

I agree, lack of support. Sounds very very shakey and like a bad kareoke but DAMN that bridge you do is flawless and you have an awesome range. Just practice that lower area more, and don't be afraid to to add some power to it!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I choose this song because it represents my taste in music and the heights I wish to reach with my voice. But I totally agree that this song is out of my league at the moment. A song like don't wanna miss a thing, or its my life would be better for a comprehensive display of where my voice is at.

I'm a little confused about the support issue. What I'm used to hearing about my mid-high range is that my sound is muffled or choked. I don't know how support plays into my case, but i do think my breathing should be decent. When I breath in, my waist expands in all directions including my back, I personally think my problem was mostly about my throat.

To give SLS and Brett Manning due credit, they did help me discover my mix and expand my range nearly an octave in a month after discovering how to produce a clear head voice. However, my voice was really small. I had to experiment and move away from some of their teachings and push my voice a little harder than they would like me to, just to get more volume.

Just today I was working with the AH vowel from Ken Tamplin's free vids on youtube and I experienced a great improvement in tone and power. I never new the wide open vowel that SS has taught me to fear would be my new bestfriend. I believe its a sign that I definitely should leave SS for a Rock oriented vocal program.

I would buy Ken's program in a heartbeat but it's very pricey and it doesn't include distortion techniques.

Hey! The notes in the chorus (lady, won't you save me...) sound like pure head voice to me, not like a mix, so they're lacking the "meat". Milijenko still has some "chestiness" in those high notes (not talking about those super-high wails, they're pure head). I'm having trouble myself getting the notes around my second bridge (A4-B4) to sound full, seems that I need an enormous amount of volume to do so - something I still have to explore when my neighbors are away... ;)

Doesn't Ken's new program have ANY info on distortion, not even in stage 3?

Stage 3 has "Glottal Compression", but not Hyper glottal compression, which is what he calls distortion. I remember him answering this along the lines of not wanting people to rush into it and get hurt.

He seems like a really nice guy, and it could be a sincere concern of his. But I can't help but to think a lot of vocal coaches refuse to include distortion in their programs because either they want to keep it as a secret for personal lessons, or that they don't know how to teach it.

But as someone who wants to do rock singing, singing powerful distortion is sort of the final goal. range->control->power->distortion.

We're gonna try to sing distortion one way or the other, and no well-meaning vocal coach can stop us by taking it out of their programs. They might as well put it there to give us at least a little guidance.

----

haiduc

yeah, its really hard to get any noticeable chest mix up there without blowing out my voice really really fast.

I actually think Milijenko was using very strong pharyngeal resonance to disguise as a heavy mix.