Hi! First time, can I please get some critique on my singing?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi! I'm new and I'm trying to improve my voice (read: start from scratch) and I just don't know where to start. The main thing I notice is it lacks power. I don't know how to say it other than that...it just sounds weak, airy, no ummm...presence...bass....not sure. I don't know if I can even sound as good as I'd like to. I wrote a quick little piece of a song just for fun, in no way finalized, it's sloppy and I'm sorry if everything is off beat and the mix sucks..

Its rock ballad-like and so I also apologize for cheesy lyrics. Which you may or may not hear clearly since I kinda made em up as I went along and mumbled some of them...

I was also trying to not be that loud because people were sleeping, and I didnt want them to hear me sing :P

So basically I'm just really looking for help with my voice, and this is the best place I know to ask.

Last thing is I'm using an old USB rockband mic, but I dont think that should make too much difference. But what do I know?

Maybe I should try another song, if ya need... i dunno, less filtered-to-hell-vocals-hiding-behind-music to make judgment then I'll sing a cover of something without effects....but...this is all I got right now :P

EDIT: I did other covers for better example. They got normalized on output but I dont think that matters if you turn it up a bit.

Surrounded - Dream Theater (Used a MIDI as backing)

Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters (Found backing track, forgot some lyrics...)

Roll With The Changes - REO Speedwagon (Removed vocals, still some echo/reverb, forgot the ohhhhhhhs at the end, ended early.)

/EDIT

Original song Serenade

http://picosong.com/wa42/

Thanks!!

Gonna need a new clip, can't hear you in that one. Maybe just sing it acapella . If you have a mic and a USB interface, you can get shareware mixing programs for free that you can use to record your voice on a separate track. Garage band, cakewalk, pro tools- all have little free versions .

www.drop-head.com

Ok thanks for your response guys,

I had some time to record some new covers of some of my favorite songs when my roommates weren't home. This should make it a lot clearer.

Done with one flat take, a glass of water in between each song, no effects/compressor...a couple double tracks to fix lyrics I forgot in LtF and REO....you'll hear it trust me. :P I was singing with what I believe is my full voice standing, not just sorta mumbling/whispering. Kinda sounds like mumbling at times but I believe I was yelling. But I had headphones listening to myself so I'm not sure.

Surrounded - Dream Theater (Used a MIDI as backing)

Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters (Found backing track, forgot some lyrics...)

Roll With The Changes - REO Speedwagon (Removed vocals, still some echo/reverb, forgot the ohhhhhhhs at the end, ended early.)

So as you hear I need your help, honesty and magic. Thanks!

I only listened to Surrounded. On the higher notes, you are pushing too much air and breaking into falsetto. The lower notes need support and they will be fine. Just so you don't feel too bad, here is my cover of it lol. It is a very difficult song. I had a cold when I did it - you can hear me caughing. This is one take also.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11686513&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

I have a kind of question critique :D You say you are a beginner and starting from scratch. But the songs you posted don't match what you say. It is almost like someone who never ran or jogged before saying they want to start a program from scratch and train to be a good runner then they start out running a marathon!! Why would you start on these songs? geez!!! Reo Speedwagon?? Good lord man :D I don't know anything about Dream Theater but I do know Keith posts covers often and those ain't easy. Your cover of the Foo Fighters fell short because there was no intensity behind your voice. Almost whispered and you can't whisper David Grohl!!

I think the first help I would offer would be to tone down your song choices to beginner tunes. Don't start at the top, there isn't anywhere left to go from there but down ;)

Hey thanks!

Yeah Keith yours sounds so much better than mine! I just don't know how to get that support and resonance I guess. I don't know how to develop it and I dont know if I can or if my voice is just wired like this. And when you say higher notes, do you mean everything after "Heaven must be more than this!", or do you mean pretty much everything after the guitar starts? I didnt even know that was falsetto

And Tommy that makes perfect sense, but I didn't realize the songs I picked were so demanding. They were just some of my favorites that I figured were within my range. Now, take something like Rock and Roll Band - Boston....I couldn't do that. That's too high. Can't even hit that highest note at the end when I tried, my voice basically just broke off. Tried Spreading The Disease - Queensryche because it had a good comparison of low and high, but that turned out to be way too hard.

I thought Surrounded would be one of the less challenging vocal songs from DT. And Learn To Fly one of the less challenging ones from Foo Fighters. The thing is, I wasn't whispering at all, but because I need intensity I guess it sounds like that.

What do you recommend for beginner songs, and developing intensity? Is it in my future to improve my voice (I fear its genetics), like maybe if I get a teacher and training, or should I just stick with instruments?

Also, does my voice sound damaged, or nasal? And if it does how can I treat it?

Also I think my range ends at D5, what does this make me?

Thanks!!

Email me at keith_goehner@yahoo.com for a couple lower DT songs . And I meant after "heaven must be more than this" . Get a coach or a singing program.

www.drop-head.com