Reverse phonation - What is your take?

Rate this topic

voc-al

Hey Guys.

Quick question. Regarding verse phonation. What is your take about it? If i hit a note in reverse phonation it means that I should be able to hit it in regular phonation?

How come in reverse phonation its so simple to create those really high notes?

VA

Forget about the reverse thing for a second man, you dont need to confirm that you can hit a certain note, unless you are talking about extreme bizarre things, you and all other humans can "hit".

The problem is developing your voice to the point of singing it with quality.

Now, if you can do it in a reverse breath flow, and normally you cant, it means that you are doing stuff that is preventing it to happen, yes. So, feel what happens when you do it reversed, there is no reason for your throat or mouth to do other stuff when doing it normally. The way your vowels are "set" is the problem, and you will need to train them to let go of the problematic parts.

Do a test, pick a comfortable note, that you usually CAN sing in normal phonation. Do it reversed. Once you can do it reversed, play around with breath flow, keeping the same posture, as if you were playing a harmonica, inhale and exhale on the same posture.

Although you will sound like crap, or an old door squeaking, notice how you dont need to do all that stuff you normally do to produce sound. You will not dismantle things to this point, for obvious reasons, but you will need to relief and simplify a lot of stuff.

Hey Felipe! We meet again after the conference :)

That would seriously be awesome. I can hit some very high notes in reverse, but I think most people if not all can do the same... That is why I was wondering. Its pure curiosity as it is coming from the vocal folds, but not sure if its something that can be done in regular phontation. I would like to see a video of what the vocal folds are doing while reverse phonating high notes.

I tried doing a note that is easy for me. Probably in the lower m2 Register, and it was easy doing it regular phonation but extremely difficult and dull sounding doing it reverse phonation. Weird.....

P.S.

Any date for the next conference? I am working on a way to record either video/audio or just audio. Unless you found a way already?

VA